What buggy should I buy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitroaddict

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just sold my rc10gt so that i could purchase a new computerized radio. I now need another off road vehicle, and have decided on a 1/8th scale buggy. I will only need the buggy and an engine, as I have almost everything else. I would like to build it, but that isnt a manditory requirement. What buggy should I buy - I might race it a little bit - but its primary use will be for bashing, so it needs to stand up to abuse. I have about 400-500 to spend on a buggy and engine combined.

Although I have knowledge in the On road class, I am a newbie to 1/8th scale off road. Dont really know the good from the bad. I know i do NOT want any Duratrax. I learned that lesson already. Thanks.

From what most poeple say you can't miss will any of the ofna buggys

I would suggest either the Kyosho or the OFNA. I like them both. You can pickup and Inferno 7.5 for the price range you are looking for and you can build it yourself.

In my opinion the Ofna's are the toy buggies. I know some people that have the Hyper 7 and 9.5 (which is the Hong Nor Speed 9.5) and they seem a little lack luster in my opinion. I think they belong in the category of buggies like the Hot bodies Lightning and the Duratrax Axis. They are good buggies for playing but I have yet to see one that looked compition ready like the Mugens, Kyosho's. Thunder Tigers and GS Storms. I am biased since I own a Storm. Get the Storm pro kit for about $380 and if you wanna stay in the budget the Ofna 8 port Hyper .21 engine for about $100 with ample power where you wont get dusted on the track. If you happen to find a little extra change in your couch the get the Sirio .21 buggy engine and make the kit scream!

i think for a buggy your 400-500 limit is gonna get you a buggy and rtr engine and that s it

go with the ofna dominator. its basicly a buggy with maxx tires on it. it will be fast and comes with a decent motor.

Yeah but its not a buggy and thats what he wants. You sure like that Dominator this is the 2nd place you posted that.

Go all out and get the Kyosho Inferno Kanai edition. That thing is a monster! If you are going to get a buggy, might as well go all out. I dont know why, but.... GO ALL OUT!!! :naughty:

Originally posted by humboldtblazer
In my opinion the Ofna's are the toy buggies. I know some people that have the Hyper 7 and 9.5 (which is the Hong Nor Speed 9.5) and they seem a little lack luster in my opinion. I think they belong in the category of buggies like the Hot bodies Lightning and the Duratrax Axis. They are good buggies for playing but I have yet to see one that looked compition ready like the Mugens, Kyosho's. Thunder Tigers and GS Storms. I am biased since I own a Storm. Get the Storm pro kit for about $380 and if you wanna stay in the budget the Ofna 8 port Hyper .21 engine for about $100 with ample power where you wont get dusted on the track. If you happen to find a little extra change in your couch the get the Sirio .21 buggy engine and make the kit scream!

I can't believe you put Thunder tigers and GS storms in the same catagory as Mugens and Kyoshos. I have a Ofna Hyper 7 pro and I can keep up with ANY kyosho or mugen at the 2 tracks I run at and I have only had it 2 weeks. Now in the straights they tend to pull me a little bit because I have a underpowered OS RG motor in it but its cool because in the end I still have more laps. I have yet to see 1 thunder tiger or GS storm out there and actually be competative but it just may be that there arent any in my neck of the woods. Anyway like I have said time after time, Hyoshos and Mugens are BAD ASS buggies and I think are higher on quality than my Ofna but I have yet to see hardly any LHS carrying a full line of replacement parts for them. Heck one owner out here that races a mugen mbx-rr says he has tried to be a distributer for Mugen and he keeps getting turned down.

Thunder Tiger has won a World Championship and holds many US and Europian championship titles...dont know about Asia. The GS Strom's best result so far is a 3rd in the Europian 1/8 off-road buggy championship and they hope to place in the Worlds this summer. I put the GS Storm in because I own one and I am biased. Granted the Storm is the newest competition buggy (debatable) but many pro's have been quoted that it is in their opinion a Worlds contender. Also noteable are the Crono's. Ofna's just are not in contention for any trophies nor is Ofna backing it financially in the racing scene like the K's, Mugens, TT and GS's. Just my opinion but they are great buggies just no world class racer...........anyways its the driver in most wins and not the vehicle. Ofna is just Hong Nor anyways (sorry to burst your bubble).

Here is the results from last years World Championships you be the judge..................

22413303.gif

and if you can't read that go here 2002 IFMAR 1/8 buggy results

See what I am saying only 4 people at that level race an Ofna and its the Hyper 7 and their way down on the list. All I see is K's, Mugen's, GS's, Crono's, and TT

Last edited:
went to my LHS and they recommended the GS storm - they have it both RTR and just a rolling chassis. Seemed to really recommend it, and I trust these guys. What do yall think?