What breaks the most on T-Maxx

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arceeguy

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys! It's me from the trx boards, I help moderate the electric 'pede and Rusty forums, so you may not have seen me before.
Well, I just got my new 2.5 T-Maxx and I love it!
I just wanted to know what parts I should stock up on. You know, the common stuff that would break from cartwheels and the occasional run in with a curb. ;)

Thanks for your input!

A-arms can go fairly easily from too many close encounters with fixed objects. While on close encounters your a-arm screws and bumper mount screws are pretty flimsy and can bent quite easily.

If you're running in dirty or dusty conditions they have a tendancy to wreak havoc on your ez start system, at least the mechanical side of the start system (gears slipping, etc...). Make sure you break your engine in well and keep your air filter clean and you should have a great t-maxx.

One more thing the stock shock caps are a pain in the butt to keep from popping off so keep a ready supply of silicone lube for your shocks and be prepared to bleed them.

Hope this helps.

Well, if you plan on hitting curbs, you will need to stock up on a-arms and bulkheads. If you find yourself breaking a lot of these, I would recomend the Pro-line suspension kit or RPM arms. Both are very durable. The RPM arms even come with a lifetime replacement warranty! I would also recomend the RPM bulkhead braces and front bumper. I have nose planted my Maxx so many times jumping it and these items have saved me everytime.
Other things you may nned to replace are shock shafts, turnbuckles, and hinge pins. I recomend the Lunsford titanium turnbuckles and hinge pins. Very durable and also have a lifetime warranty.
Have Fun!! :D

Spurs
GloPlugs
BumperMounts
AArms
HingePins
Turnbuckle Rods
2 Spare shocks (at minimum)
and bulkheads (although not to many will repair these in the field)

Typically whatever your driving style is will dictate what you break the most. Cartwheels you say? Well invest in a small, if not full, rollcage to at least protect your head. Thats one you DONT want to have snap off....... It also helps protect your linkages.

Other than that, only you will be able to identify over time what needs to be in your spare parts box. This should get you started.

Turnbuckle rod ends for you cartwheeling types will get a lot of stress...

Have a bag of those on hand and upgrade to the titanium turnbuckles...(you said new 2.5 T-Maxx...I think they already come with beefier turnbuckles...you'll have to confirm the metal...if it is still steel, look into Titanium).

I think the rest of the guys covered just about everything else...

Almost forgot, Christian mentioned a roll cage...another item that seems to take some bad damage are the fuel tanks for some reason. I didn't believe it until it happened to me...get a spare and keep it near. The roll cage will help prevent cracked tanks, also.

Thanks for all your input!

So basically I should keep the same spares as I do for my N-Stampede and N-Rusty. Except that the T-Maxx parts are bigger and more expensive. :eek:
While I haven't had much difficulty with the EZ Start systems on my other Traxxas nitro's, the EZ Start II is supposed to be more reliable. I can tell you that the new starter box is a 100% improvement over the older design. If you try to start a flooded engine, it will cut power to the motor. By the time you loosen the plug, the unit will reset and you can continue cranking. This feature should save a lot of gears and starter motors. As far as the one-way bearing goes, only time will tell, but I think they may have any prior shortcomings fixed.

A great place to stock up on stock spares is e-bay. You can find a ton of brand new never used t-maxx stock parts on e-bay really cheap. Most of them are from LHS's that sell a t-maxx and the new owner wants to upgrade on the spot so the parts never left the lhs. I just got 2 sets of front and rear bumpers with mounts for $10. I also picked up a full set of the stock servos for $20. Check E-Bay.

Originally posted by El Pirata
A great place to stock up on stock spares is e-bay. You can find a ton of brand new never used t-maxx stock parts on e-bay really cheap. Most of them are from LHS's that sell a t-maxx and the new owner wants to upgrade on the spot so the parts never left the lhs. I just got 2 sets of front and rear bumpers with mounts for $10. I also picked up a full set of the stock servos for $20. Check E-Bay.

Great suggestion!
The marketplace section on the trx boards is okay too, although you don't really get the buyer protection you do on eBay. I purchased a couple of "nearly new" Trx .15's from Maxxers that immediately upgraded their engines for about the same cost as a rebuild kit. I did however get ripped off by a guy who never sent me an O.S. CZ-R......
I tend to keep my trucks as close to stock as possible, only upgrading parts that break on a continual basis, or are flat out inadequate from the factory. For example, the stock "dual" exhaust system on the N-Pede is an item that I thought needed some attention. I now run a N-Sport header (to clear the EZ Start motor) and an Associated pipe for a RC10GT. More power, and the engine runs cooler.

If your going to keep the stock shocks make a set of bump stops for them from fuel tube, and dont forget a better airfilter and a fuel filter.

Wheelie bar?

Once again, thanks for all of your input!

Is there an easy way to make a wheelie bar, or does someone make an affordable one? I am finding out that this thing will flip over backwards a little too easily if you are heavy on the throttle from a dead stop.

Thanks!

They won't be pretty but they will be cheap and effective. Like a tail dragger aircraft, you can make some plastic extensions that stick out the back of the truck to act as "tail skids" when the truck is in a wheelie.

Or you could shell out the dough for a real wheelie bar, which will look better and be just as effective.