What are the symtoms of a blown bearing?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad55102

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Well, how do i know when an engine bearing needs to be replaced. When i hold it and spin the bearing it sounds like there is sand in it. Not a lot of sand maybe just a piece or two, but what does a blown bearing do?

You should definately clean that out if it feels and sounds gritty. I've never experienced a blown engine bearing but I imagine that if one was, that the crankshaft would not turn on center. It may wobble around a bit. That would probably lead to bigger problems if one was to continue to run an engine with a bad bearing..possibly lead to a broken connecting rod even.

A blown bearing will come apart when you take it out. If you feel like there is grit in it, try cleaning like Lessen said, if that doesn't work replace it.

Spray it down good with nitro clean or dentured alcohol.Blow it out with compressed air if you can.Once it is clean and you still feel a grinding you know its toast.I put my pinky into the end and push and pull.You will feel it move side to side.That is bad.When its running in the car it will usualy rattle as the rpms are increased and then quiet down at idle speed.This info is all based on my experience with TRX 3.3 engines.The TKO bearings were only a little more than the stock and look like they have a beefy cage.

I had a front bearing go out on a 3.3, the first thing I noticed was a grinding sound. I then notice signs of running lean. When I took it apart it was toast.

I don't think anyone got it, Ralph. Anyone but me!
I was all over that when I saw the question....lol
But on a serious note other than.. having a big grin....sounding gritty means it is bad or on its way to being. As was said about try cleaning it out....

You can actually cause more damage to a sealed bearing by trying to clean it. You can actually push more dirt into the seal. You'll usually hear a bad bearing before you notice any other signs. If it's the front bearing and it's starts to leak fuel, you'll notice your engine running erratically and usually lean, meaning it gets hot. If you think it's bad, order a new one and replace it so save your self some headache later on.

Cheers,
Curt

How do you take out a blown bering anywayz?

It is best to heat the engine in the oven to about 350 for 5-10 minutes or use a heat gun then tap it out by smacking the face of block on a piece of wood so not to damage the block.Some had put up a link to a great video on this and I follwed that anf it worked great.Out of 8 blocks I only have one bearing still stuck.