What A Tank!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey Wrench

My last words will likely be, Crap that didn't wo
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Today was the first time in just over two months I've had to burn some nitro. Between working about seven days a week and weather, I just hadn't the time to break a rig out and run it...until today! Left work a little early, weather was awesome (about 70 degrees and sunny) and happened to have the Savage on the charger.

Get home, break out the gear and off I go. The HPI 4.1 starts up like it had been run yesterday and even though I hadn't run the Savage in probably close to three months, the beast ran like a top! Never had to touch a needle!

Run a tank through rolling around the yard and doing some jumps off my little homemade ramp. Then temptation walked up in the form of two skate rats from down the street.

A couple nice young men that live down the street had been skateboarding down the street and had their ramp out (one of those nice skate ramps). They see I'm out with the Savage (yes, that is my real name) and asked if I would take a crack at jumping the Savage off the ramp.

I act as if I'm doing them a favor, but obviously, anyone in this situation would jump at both the opportunity to jump off a great ramp AND show off! Take a few slower speed jumps and the two young boys are impressed.

I then decide, it's time to really floor them. I take the Savage back a good twenty feet or so and start winding it up. The monster clicks through all three gears like clockwork, the RPM's climbing up and the Monster Joe's digging at the asphalt. Just before approaching the ramp, a rogue pebble lifts the front, left wheel up just enough to alter the approach angle.

BOOM!

Up the ramp and to the left the magnificent beast is launched! Scratching for altitude, the Savage heads...right...for...my...neighbor's...MAILBOX!

KKKRRRAAANNNNGGGG!

The Savage hits the mailbox straight and true! The mailbox goes sailing, ripped mercilessley from it's moorings! The wooden 4x4 support structure lists limply to the right, a clear victim to the brutal impact of this R/C monster.

The Savage is unscathed, actually landing on it's feet and sitting, idling, waiting for the next run.

The two young boys stare, jaws on the ground for a good twenty seconds until one pipes up, "Man, my Dad is going to be PISSED!"

I run back to the house, dig out some 3" wood screws and repair the carnage my monster has caused, all the while smiling and thinking, "How flippin' cool was THAT?"

Sweetdiesel, you build one tough rig, my man! Be proud! :thumbup:

It is great to hear the Savage is still tough enough to take a licking and keep on ticking! Any pics of the carnage?

Sadly, and with much regret, I have no pictures of the carnage. Being as the "Man of the House" wasn't home yet, I felt it prudent to repair the damage, lest I get a real ass whoopin'!

Monkey Wrench said:
Up the ramp and to the left the magnificent beast is launched! Scratching for altitude, the Savage heads...right...for...my...neighbor's...MAILBOX!

Thats why i love my savage. Its Superman!!!!

Thanks for sharing the story man!

Last edited:
Nice. Gotta love the durability of the Savage.

This is why I will never get rid of my mine.

LMAO

Great story bro. Would have made a great vid.
That will give the kids something to talk about for some time...

Hell of a nice day here too. About 68 or 70, supposed to snow this weekend.

Damn I miss my old savage... it was just like that. Now I need to start over..again.

man thats awesome..lol.. Do it again, but get it on vid this time..lol

The way you wright you're stories, you don't need video. It's like reading a news article. You can just about picture it in you're head.

Clintd said:
The way you wright you're stories, you don't need video. It's like reading a news article. You can just about picture it in you're head.

Hell yea, I was with him every step of the way.....Great story MW, good to hear you burned some nitro!

props to the savages (both of you). i made the mistake of selling my savage awhile back, but i got another one now and its on the operating table.

my goal is to hit our "big ramp" we lovingly refer to as the "money pit"

here is a pic since I'm not as good with my words as Mr. Savage..

DSC01199.jpg

man. that's freaking awesome. My luck would be something would break on my rig, but not because its the car but because of my poopy luck. Most of the time nothing breaks on the Savage though.

beason said:
props to the savages (both of you). i made the mistake of selling my savage awhile back, but i got another one now and its on the operating table.

my goal is to hit our "big ramp" we lovingly refer to as the "money pit"

here is a pic since I'm not as good with my words as Mr. Savage..

DSC01199.jpg

Oh good gracious, look at that ramp! The Money Pit, how appropriate! It is an absolute requirement that someone shoot video of your rig launching off that thing!

Yup How I missed my Savage. How she sat as well my old LST pimped out and my Revo 3.3 when I first got her. Sad to say all are gone.

Picture002.jpg

Awsome story MW....I'm charging myan inspiration to us all maxx right now to go play....truly an inspirational and motivational story.....I just hope I can crack my duckhead neighbor in the leg again.. :D