well i broke my pull start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pissant

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
how should i take my engine off, becuase i need to add a new pull start too it, man this suxs. Is there a specific way to take off the engine :eyepatch:

Here ya go.

Take the pipe off.
Take the tank off.
Disconnect the throttle linkage from the carb.
Take the 4 screws that hold the engine mount out (from the bottom of the truck).
Engine can then be removed out the top of the truck.

There are holes in the rear skid plate that are in about the right place to take the two rear engine mount screws out through.

Don't try to take the engine off the mount, it's pointless because you can't do it while it's in the truck, and it's just easier to take the mount off the truck instead of taking the engine off the mount.

The hardest part about putting the engine back in (when you've fixed the PS) is getting the right mesh between the CB and the spur. There have been numerous discussions about meshing on here, but if you need help just ask.

Whitt...

is there any place i can buy a pull start for the .21 savage, my hobby store has them for a price of $26. I think that is too much, but maybe my only option. Can i fix my pull start, everytime i pull on it, it just does not go back down, i must have broke a spring or somthing Or how about a website that would sell them for cheaper then $26. :tank:

i have another question do i really have too have after run oil for my air filter or can i use just about any oil?

I do not know about your truvk. But when I remove mine I take the mount loose through 4 screws under the chassie. it comes right out.

Last edited:
oh yea that is what i did, but can i fix it with out buying a new pull start

also can i use just any oil in my air filter, or do i need the after run oil!!!

You might just need to hose the inside of the PS with nitro cleaner. Oil seeps out through the PS shaft and can collect a black thick gunge in the PS making it harder for it to recoil.

DO NOT use after run oil on the air filter. After run oil goes in the crank case. After run oil is alot thinner than air filter oil and will not catch dust entering the filter. Use filter oil on filters.

pissant: go to tower hobbies and check there for a pull start, they almost always have good prices. 26 dollars doesn't seem out of line for a pull start another option is try an roto start. I've got one on each of my savages and they work great!!! on the air filter, like error said ONLY use air filter oil on your air filter it is sticky and traps alot of dirt that otherwise would be going right down into your motor. can you say rebuild

$26 is about right for a pull start.

With all of the problems people are having with pull starts, I may just open a PS repair business. I have field repaired my own broken spring and all a few times. If you have the patience and the right spare parts (ie a string if the pull start cord is the thing that breaks), it isn't that difficult to do.

I now carry a lighter as a part of my field kit. The lighter is to heat the spring so that it is more easily bent without breaking. Error, I know you can attest to this with your experience in working metal.

Tru dat. Heat takes the spring action out of the spring and makes it less brittle. No heat and you end up breaking the end of the spring instead of making it bend. Don't heat the whole spring though, just the last 1/2 to 3/4 inch.