Weed-eater won't start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupooterluvr

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
It's like 10 years old. I keep telling my dad to just get a new one but he refuses until he's absolutely sure this one is dead.

My problem is that the damned thing won't start. I was out weed-eating the back yard one day when it suddenly just stalled. I figured it ran out of gas so i filled it up. Went to start it and it just won't start! Any opinions/help?

I honestly think it's dead.

Will it turn over or is the engine locked up?
Is it getting spark?
Is the fuel line pluged?

- Turns over, quite easily in fact since it's been used so long.

- I will check the spark. I cleaned the plug with a wire brush and some alcohol.

- Fuel lines are good.

Are you using the proper oil/gas mix ratio?

If that checks out, then I would suspect a clogged carb. Nothin short of a carb rebuild kit will help, if that's the case.

Do you know if it has any compression?
One other thing is check the on/off switch and make shure that the wires have a good connection. I can't count how many times that has been the prob. on my stuff.

Usually the on/off switch is a switch that connects the coil to ground when you switch to "off". Unless the switch is hosed (possible), it's a safe bet that the cause is more likely a bad oil/fuel ratio (even then it would spark), or an ignition problem.

Just a thought; check to make sure the "Stator" points on the flywheel are clean. Some fine grit sandpaper works perfect for this.

My dad said screw it and we went out and bought a (FRIGGIN AWESOME) Echo 210 Straight shaft trimmer. That thing is so awesome :D

I did have fun :D No matter what kind of small engine it is, if it has that characteristic "bing-bing-bing" noise then it's fun :D

Back