Waterproof servos..

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smittyzz

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Last thread for the day..
Anyways I've got a little money and I'm ordering some stuff.
I need some waterproof servos as I've now gone through 5 servos due to water. I don't want to do the at home method.
So are the 313wp servos any good? They seem low on torque.. I'm about to order a hit eck or Savox Wp servo just because there the only high torque servos that are waterproof.

You guys didn't reccomend it but I did order two spring rc servos. Dual ball bearing, all medal geared, waterproof,. 16 sec, and 218 oz of torque, but no idea when they will come.

What do you guys recommend for waterproof servos? Mainly for bashing, running in my tamiya, ofna and duratrax!
Thanks again guys!

Yeah man i will be doing my new build as you know. Thanks for the links it will help me so much . I might do the upgrade on the steering. I will talk more with you.

This is what I just did to some unused 645MG servos I've had for about 5 years:

1. Disassemble, slip rubber o-ring over output shaft.
2. Dielectric grease in the top cover
3. Dip electronics in corrosion x, let dry. Should have use conformal coating but couldn't find it.
4. Reassemble, dip in your couloir choice of plasti-dip, let dry for 30mins, repeat dipping process until satisfied.
5. Scrape/cut excess plasti-dip off output shaft.

Congratulations your servo is now water resistant.

This is what I just did to some unused 645MG servos I've had for about 5 years:

1. Disassemble, slip rubber o-ring over output shaft.
2. Dielectric grease in the top cover
3. Dip electronics in corrosion x, let dry. Should have use conformal coating but couldn't find it.
4. Reassemble, dip in your couloir choice of plasti-dip, let dry for 30mins, repeat dipping process until satisfied.
5. Scrape/cut excess plasti-dip off output shaft.

Congratulations your servo is now water resistant.

Never did grease or corrosion x, but I did use rubber in a can and put a nice thick layer of rubber on them that worked until it got in the to, and the o-ring wasn't enough.
And besides that all the servos I had we old analog Futaba 3003 servos(x5) and 2 no name brands. I needed to upgrade anyways.
And I don't want to have to keep an eye on the grease and change when needed, I don't wanna have to touch any more servos after going through 5 the last month Lol
But I do thank you for that! Maybe I'll try it one day!

Another one gone
Another one gone
Another one BITES THE DUST!
Junk servos. Can't wait to get my waterproof ones.
On another note, got to lean my ofna out today and she ran great!:)

You don't want dielectric grease in the gear train, it's way too thick and puts a lot of stress on the motor. All you really need to waterproof is the circuit board that controls everything. and the potentiometer that controls centering. If you coat both of those with a product made for this type of application (I use MG Chemicals silicone conformal coating) then you're good to go. I have a cheapo servo that's been in a glass of water for over a month, nothing done to it but that, I didn't even re-install the o rings on the case or screws and it's still going strong. I'd love to buy a pre-waterproofed version, but nobody makes one with enough TQ for my applications, so I'm forced to do it myself.

You don't want dielectric grease in the gear train, it's way too thick and puts a lot of stress on the motor. All you really need to waterproof is the circuit board that controls everything. and the potentiometer that controls centering. If you coat both of those with a product made for this type of application (I use MG Chemicals silicone conformal coating) then you're good to go. I have a cheapo servo that's been in a glass of water for over a month, nothing done to it but that, I didn't even re-install the o rings on the case or screws and it's still going strong. I'd love to buy a pre-waterproofed version, but nobody makes one with enough TQ for my applications, so I'm forced to do it myself.

That's what I'm saying. There all weak. Savox makes a 200+ oz waterproof.
As long as spring rc. Dual ball bearing all medal geared .16 at 218oz. All for 13!
I ordered two to try, If there alright servos, I'll be ordering a bunch, there tested underwater as well.
But what's the cost of that stuff and can I get it at wall mart or do I need to order it offline?
Thanks for the input Hpiguy!! :)

On the Wraith and crawler, I need to have a lot of TQ when the tires are bound against the rocks, otherwise you're just going where the rocks point you, so I have 400+ oz servos on both. Nobody offers that in a waterproof setup.

You can order it online, I get mine at Amazon in a brush on applicator bottle. As with all things of this nature, you are voiding any warranty the electronics might have, so do so at your own risk.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O9YIV6/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sorry I didn't specify, the dielectric grease goes in the part of the top cover where the bearing sits only!. I wouldn't start getting crazy with the stuff. If you have a hobby knife you can pull the shields off the bearing and pack that with dielectric grease as well, I didn't cause I got preoccupied with a hockey game, and I'm lazy.

On the Wraith and crawler, I need to have a lot of TQ when the tires are bound against the rocks, otherwise you're just going where the rocks point you, so I have 400+ oz servos on both. Nobody offers that in a waterproof setup.

You can order it online, I get mine at Amazon in a brush on applicator bottle. As with all things of this nature, you are voiding any warranty the electronics might have, so do so at your own risk.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O9YIV6/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not worried about voiding. Been doing that my whole life haha, and I buy off eBay anyways so I don't really get them if they've been used, but thank you for the link! Will have to order some of that as it could really save money going with a cheaper non waterproof servo and doing it yourself Lol.
And wow... That's a lot of torque, but with you explaining that I see why you would need it, I want to get into rock crawling myself, but will have to save up, crawlers are pretty expevsive and I'm still learning nitro as you can see Lol.
But thank you again!:)

---------- Post added at 5:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:20 PM ----------

Sorry I didn't specify, the dielectric grease goes in the part of the top cover where the bearing sits only!. I wouldn't start getting crazy with the stuff. If you have a hobby knife you can pull the shields off the bearing and pack that with dielectric grease as well, I didn't cause I got preoccupied with a hockey game, and I'm lazy.

Nothing wrong with being a little lazy haha
I just don't wanna bother with grease. I don't wanna have to change it out, and I don't wanna have to keep an eye on the grease, as I'm lazy as well Lol, I want to worry about less then have to worry about keeping an eye, I've killed 6 servos now. I was using rubber in a can which worked till it entered the top. I'd love to apply a coat and go, no worries!

Just to reiterate, I don't think anything is truly no worries when it comes to water and electronics. But, this was recommended to me by a big motor / ESC manufacturer as it's very close to what they use if the customer requests a waterproof ESC. So far, it hasn't failed me yet playing in the mud and muck with the scalers. And a little dab of grease around the top spline is never a bad idea as Alexander mentioned, it will last a LONG time.

Yes, I know, they will never mix, and I will be ordering some of that stuff, but is the grease necessary?

^^I remember that one :D

Yes, I know, they will never mix, and I will be ordering some of that stuff, but is the grease necessary?

Look at it this way, grease helps keep the water out, and it's super cheap so it can't hurt. You can get the dielectric grease at any auto parts store in a big tube for like $8.

Last edited:
Back