water proofing electrics

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tannera

what are the best ways of water proofing and protecting your electrics

thanks.

plasti dipping it seals all of the cracks.

Plastic dip works well.
Also, the hardware store near me sells something called liquid electrical tape.
Home Depot has it also.
cover the seams and screws with the liquid tape and let dry.
then, take off your servo horn, (mark it so you can put it back in the exact same place), then pack around the servo gear with grease or vasaline.
You will have to re grease the servo gear after every long run. (it will last about a day of bashing)

I never knew about the grease around the servo horn...good info...

A lot of people tend to forget about the servo gear.
The grease works well, but you have to stay on top of it.
It does wear off.

I use 12" and 10" party ballons from the dollar store. I put the servos in the 12" ballons with the inflateable part over the servo and the open end over the electrical cord. I force out the air and seal the cord with silicone and a tie wrap. I put a bit of silicone in the spline of the servo horn and push it over the ballon onto the output shaft of the servo. Only thing is with the K3 the throttle servo is real close to the center spur gear and the ballon get a hole in it real fast so I use a 10" ballon for a tighter fit. I run year round with this setup and it's worked well for me. The only thing that stops me from running is deep puddles that soak the air cleaner and flood the engine. I make sure the radio box and all the electronics are all sealed well. I run grease in all my bearings to save them.

thanks for the information a will try them and see if the electrics last longer.

Back