Waterproofing electrical

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel C

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
Hey has anyone used flex seal to water proof there electronics if so how did it work?

Have seen a few people flex seal their receivers, but I agree the conformal coating is best.

Last edited:
Is flex-seal easy to remove ? Never tried it.

I fill connectors and things with dielectric grease. Does not melt-and-run when hot. Still soft when cold.
https://www.acehardware.com/departm...cation/automotive-lubrication-greases/8167280

Never use ordinary RTV (silicone seal.) It gives off vinegar as it cures. Vinegar is 8% acetic acid. You can get "marine grade" RTV for electronics. I use it to seal up motorcycle ignition modules and voltage regulators that I had to cut open to repair.

There is stuff called "re-enterable encapsulant" somewhat translucent and you can remove it with a fork.

Is flex-seal easy to remove ? Never tried it.

I fill connectors and things with dielectric grease. Does not melt-and-run when hot. Still soft when cold.
https://www.acehardware.com/departm...cation/automotive-lubrication-greases/8167280

Never use ordinary RTV (silicone seal.) It gives off vinegar as it cures. Vinegar is 8% acetic acid. You can get "marine grade" RTV for electronics. I use it to seal up motorcycle ignition modules and voltage regulators that I had to cut open to repair.

There is stuff called "re-enterable encapsulant" somewhat translucent and you can remove it with a fork.
Conformal coating is a thin coating that completely waterproofs electronics. And you can still access the stuff on the board if you need to. It's much better than any RTV. Give it a try.