Wanting to Build my own Revo...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.21Rc10GT

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys...

I've been watching the Revos since they came out, and i think i may want to start a build... I wanna make it into a full out race revo... C/F chassis, areosticks buckles and pushrods, OS or Sirio engine, RPM arms and knuckles, Integy shocks, etc... I need to make a real list, and see what parts i need. I will probably be looking on rcdocuments from time to time to get the manual... I want to replace every part in it with aftermarket stuff (does that remind you of the other 2 rcs i have?). Gimme some ideas, or some ecouragement... I wanna do this before the new year.

can't say much but go for it. heard good things about the tm also check out ebay.

and ummmm build me one will your at it....

jk

Last edited:
as far as engine, get the O.S. .18 TM they fly then! (not literally, lol) umm get some alum rockers.

if your gonna replace everything the just but it all seperate
go to the bay and get a chassis and arms and everything else

i second the 18 tm.

Thats what i meant by build... Gonna start with a C/F chassis, and a tranny... If i go FOC, then i don't use the optidrive right? Should i get an extended chassis? What company? Are there any parts that should be kept stock? What is the difference in the rockers, (pos 1, 2, or 3?). I'm looking at the HCR Ti. rockers...

It will be cheaper if you buy the whole truck and sell whatever that you don't need.

Don't buy the standard cf chassis. They will have an extended in the market soon.. but no date .. lol

Ok, here's a start. Vantage has a CF extended chassis coming out soon (not sure when I know proto's are out there). The CF chassis do have a weak point and you need to either manufacture a brace or buy the qconcepts brace that goes under the engine. There's another ext chassis out there but it's aluminum, and I think they are back ordered. Go with the RPM arms and axle carriers, you won't be sorry, but I'd definitely stay away from aluminum here. Get either the OS .18 TM or TZ, either mill is great, anything else is overkill in the Revo. Traxxas has some extended rear arms coming out that will allow you to adjust the wheel base up to 1", might be worth looking into, especially if you go with an extended chassis. Forget the aluminum or Ti rockers, I just don't get the reasoning behind them except for bling. I've never seen or heard of anyone trashing the stock (composite?) rockers. Also in the rocker department, you'll want P2's for racing. Also ditch the Integy shocks, just more bling and you'll probably spend a lot of time rebuilding 'em, they are another thing I see that serves no racing purpose. If you want to invest in shocks get the Traxxas Ti coated shafts and the hard ano'd shells. FOC in the tranny is the only way to go (reverse sucks and the gear is weak anyway), you will not need an optidrive. Also close ratio gear set if you are running a somewhat smaller track that you don't need a whole lot of top end, though you don't lose much anyway using the CRG. Do all the "free mods" Slaydaddy mods, I posted the link once before, I'll dig and find it again. HD servo saver spring. Fuel tank size limitations an issue (ROAR)? If not Trinity Spider tank, it's 175cc. You'll have to mod the radio/battery box or go with the Extreme racing CF setup and something like an RC10GT rx box or TMaxx box. I've heard of the aerosticks, but the only guy that pumped 'em up on another board was affiliated with the company somehow. I personally (have) would go with Lunsford Ti pushrods and Traxxas Tubez for the toelinks/steering links. Response Tires on Hurricane wheels. If you want loud, Trinity pipe or the new Traxxas tuned pipe. Performancewise you'll get some more bottome end which doesn't seem possible but is. Tekno RC throttle servo mount is a must. I have the wing mount also, it seems really nice and is very easy to install, I just haven't mounted and run it yet since I had my rear body mounts modded with a GS Storm wing mount. Loose the bumpers, if your racing you won't need em and if you mod the rear end for a wing (GS Storm or Mugen wing stay) you probably won't be able to use the rear. RD Racing Quick Turn drive shaft, gotta have it, it's just plain awesome, IMO. When you order it from them, might as well order the OS 18 backplate kit and a starter box from them as well. On top of that you'll need a 40mm flywheel for the starter box. Use the box and you'll never, ever have the headache of a OWB again. I'll try and think of some more and post it. Fire away with any ?'s

yea, what he said lol. lots of good advice...

Well, i talked my friend into getting a revo for his first R/C, and i think both of us made the right desicion... It is fairly fast in stock form, and handles on a dime (on the street). We got it last night about 5pm, started charging everything and got going on the breakin by 6-6:30. Finished break in at about 8:30, and drove till 9, when his mom came out and started complaining bout the noise... Well guys, i think this exerpience makes me want one 10x more!!!

Alright... I think i want the standard size C/F chassis, cause i want to get started right now!! I'll check out the brace for that as well. I've got hardend steel diff gears and Nova diff cups on the way. I'm not going to be racing this for quite some time, so i think i will be going with a sirio .23 or something of that sort. If I'm doing some major jumping, what rockers do i need? I'm going with the RPM arms and knuckles. I will probably go with some stock slider axles, because from what i have read, they are strong enough for pretty much everything (unlike the maxx axles). What should i do with electronics? I am going to be using an xs3 pro with the 310 receiver. I need some good steering/throttle servo combos... I think I'm gonna drop reverse and go with an FOC.

for the coin your gonna drop on this, get a Mugen MBX5, IMO....

why dont you be the first to make a twin revo? :shrug: unless its been done already. that would be cool. :shrug:

Sounds like your gonna have on hell of a Revo. Be sure to post up some pcs!

For servos maybe a HS-5945 and a HS-5625 or somethin?

How much coin you looking to spend for servos. If you want to stay on the cheaper side the JR Z650M is great for steering. A JR Z590 will work for T/B. You'll need the brace unless you keep a supply of spur gears handy, especially with the BB. There's too much fles under the mill and you will strip out SG's everytime you run without a brace under the engine mount. The stock axles are just fine, I've heard of too many problems with MIP CVD's and others.

Well, i think I'm gonna go with a stock chassis for now, until a good extended c/f chassis comes out, and when i have the money to do so.

Alright, i recieved some of the first parts today. I got the nova diff cups, and hardened steel diff gears (all of em) from RadRC. I need to get the seals and everything, and there are a bunch more parts on the way, just starting it off!!! Any upgrades for the bulkheads on this thing yet???

RD Racing is coming out with an extended quick turn if you are thinking of going that route with an extended chassis. Just heard that today.

As i said a few posts back, i am going to use the stock chassis for as long as i can, then take the dive into CF. The chassis may be one of the few stock parts left on this beast... Anyone know about any Al. bulks?

Alright, well i have a TON of parts here now (I'm thinking almost enough to make a roller (less the bearings, screws, and rod ends). I have a bunch of stuff, and am itching to put it together. I am now making more money for parts and such, so this thing should be running within the month, give or take. I do have one question though. Do i have to buy the whole internal diff gear set if i want the pin for the spyder gears?

I don't recall seeing the pins sold seperately. You may go an look at Mugen MBX difs or something and see if they might work.

Back