waiting for my savage x ss kit.....?'s

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adeezy9183

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hey guys i ordered the x ss 4.6 kit and it should be here tomorrow. i was wondering what people thought of the build and what i should expect...i've owned 2 savages but never built one from scratch...what are you guys's opinions? thanks

I'd be interested to know too and to find out how you get on as I may be on the verge of ordering one too! Good Luck and make sure you post plenty of pictures with your build thread...:D

Congratulations on your purchase, good choice. First thing, RTFM. Second, grab a camera and post a build thread. If you have trouble, take a picture of it, post it on here, and you will have a solution in 5 minutes. Someone is always on this forum, chances are they own a savage and if rcnt can't help you with it, NOBODY CAN. (shamelss rcnt plug).

i have never built a savage, but i have built an HPI kit (baja SS) very well documented, packaged, and organized.

first step, find a big table. if you think you have enough room, double it.

second as duck said, RTFM. read over it once or twice before you start so you know what to expect.

locktite!!! all screws that go into metal.

dont get in a hurry, read each step twice, lay out the parts in order, then start that step. dont skip around either. they bag each step in its own bag so you finish it before opening another one.

organization!! lots of little parts. have something to hold them, until you need them

the baja took me about 22 hours. the savage shouldnt take near that long. I've tore down a rebuilt a few, just never from scratch.

Hey guys got the kit today. Unfortunately I have to work tonight but ill start messing with it tomorrow when I get up...I was reading over the manual online last night and it seems pretty straight forward. The tranny and diffs are already assembled...I don't know if that's a good or bad thing...I can't wait to start wrenching on this thing... I will post a project thread and keep u guys updated. I'm gonna be using a spektrum dx3s, but I don't think I'm gonna run the telemetry rx cuz I've heard that u have to splice the sensor wires to make them fit and I don't wanna have a bunch of wires looking like garbage...besides, the 4.6 isn't hard to tune and it holds a tune very well. Anyways, ill keep u guys updated on how its going...o I almost forgot...I read that a set of calipers is a needed tool for the build...would u guys suggest them? They are a bit pricey...maybe a buddy of mine has a set to borrow....later

The manual says u need them to set the turnbuckles right...

You can use a tape measure. A good set of calipers is $75-$100. By all means, borrow some if you can. But they're not critical.

Good call on the tape measure bro

Back