Virus Protection Software

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
I'm really starting to get fed up with Norton, and my current subscription expires in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking of upgrading from Norton 2008 to 360, but would like to have any opinions on more useful, less annoying programs. You have no idea how sick I am of seeing their balloon popping up telling me there's a problem, only to find that it wants to do a full system scan when I know there is nothing to see. Currently, the balloon pops up a dozen or more times a day telling me there's a problem, only to tell me to renew. I've been dealing with that for 2 weeks, and have 2 more weeks to go.
I don't notice much on this new computer, but on others I have, it's a major memory hog that really slows things down on a regular basis.

I'll check into it. Norton System Works has several features other than just the virus protection, but one of the major reasons I've used it is for the Roxio GoBack, now incompatible with Vista.

I used AVG before I switched to Mac. It's free and lean.

Norton has always made bloated products IMO. Here's a fun fact(not Nortons fault). I once downloaded a version of Norton antivirus, only to find the zip file was.............you guessed it, infected.

dont get me started on virus protection, even though i used one i still got a virus and had little purple bumps on my balls for two months....but anyways I'm not even sure what i use, i have a deal that pops up sometimes when i turn the computer on that says McAfee security, I'm assuming that is a virus protection??? i did have Nortan on my old computer and it was annoying.

i like avast!! its free and does enough for me.

Avast is very good. Its the one I have currently on my pc now. I would prefer pccilin (trend micro) but doesn't work on 64 bit os and does cost.

I'm using AVG. I like it, but I suggest doing a custom install, and not installing the link scanner.

At this point I'm up for anything that's reliable and free since a lot of the features with Norton are done automatically within Vista. ( I don't have to start Speed Disk within Norton and wait 3 hours while it defrags my drive since Vista keeps it defragged without even an indication of when it happens.)
I also did a search and came up with RollBack RX Pro for $69 that puts GoBack to shame.

Good bye, Symantec. I've had enough memory hogging and space usage. I won't miss the annoying pop ups that I can't turn off.

I hate norton with a passion. I run Iolo System Mechanic Pro. You can buy it pretty cheap, and it includes a decent virus scan program (that doesn't send little warning messages and so on at all) and a full mechanics system that includes registry mechanics, access to easily modifiy what programs are running on startup, a nice defragmenting tool, and several other features that I use. The best thing about it, it doesn't warn you about stuff, it doesn't use much memory like Norton does, and it allows me to use the mechanic tools when I want to use them, not when Norton says that I should use them. If the Roxio Rollback is just a way to run a system restore, you can do that in Windows Vista pretty easily, and setup your restore points and things like that to customize it for the way that you want it to run.

I use AVG Free, and it works fine for me. No viruses since.

I used the restore system in Vista, and it was pitiful. Typical MS programming. It runs THEIR way, not yours.
In the past, when I installed a program or made a change in '98 or XP, I would do a fresh boot, install the program, test it out, and if there were any problems in it, or the computer, GoBack could reset the comp to the last boot. The computer would restart with absolutely no trace that the program had ever been there.

I guess I'm just lucky. I had to use restore points a few times when some programs really interfered with the registry, and it worked wonders for me.

Also, I think the Iolo software that I mentioned may have a restore program, I just haven't had a need to use it, but it would be worth checking out.

Also, I've heard good things about CA internet suite

Avast and AVG are both free and pretty good at their job. I'm using Avast at the moment but AVG is actually the better of the two. I just like Avast because it runs (scans constantly at a low priority so it uses less RAM) in the background and only pops up when it finds a virus or needs an update.

We use McAfee at work and I use Norton Corp at home.

-Michael

I prefer to use Trojan Extra-ribbed V 2.0 here. No virus problems...

...that I know of...

On a more serious note, I use CA antivirus and it's fair. But it's not free unless you are a Roadrunner subscriber. But I've used AVG and it's top notch. I highly recommend it.

I use Kapersky on my work laptop.

I was using Avast since it was free. AVG was the one I used but it SLOWED my laptop. Took it off and it ran back the way it was.

I now use PcIlling from Trend Micro. Happy with it so far.