Vintage short course livery

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islandlife

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
I picked up a new body for one of my short course trucks today. Pro-line 78 chevy c-10
IMG_2347.jpeg

Looking for some inspiration for the livery. Given the body style, id like to keep the livery somewhat vintage/simple
Paint will be done all with spray cans, no airbrush.
I picked up some gun metal grey, and florescent yellow. Have white, light blue and metallic blue in the shop already. Can always grab some more colours if needed.

Sooo, throw up some of your ideas that might work with this body!

IMG_2353.jpeg

IMG_2349.jpeg

Last edited:
The wife just had a eyegasm, yellow is her favorite color.

I know most of these are Fords, but, it might give you some ideas.

Walker Evans black and silver truck (he also did this one in blue and white).
211351.jpg

Robby Gordons truck.
212904.jpg

Steve McQueen's truck.
219525_1.jpg

Larry Maddox truck.
C10_F150_RACEDEZERT_JSTILGEBOUER-4-885x590.jpg.jpg

El Camino from the mid eighties.
images.jpg

The wife just had a eyegasm, yellow is her favorite color.
Your welcome!

I like the stripe work on the robby gordon truck above, would look good in yellow/black/grey i think!

^the ramcharger above has got the flavour I'm after!

^the ramcharger above has got the flavour I'm after!
Look up the Baja (250, 500, 1000) races, or the Mint 400, and you will find tons of ideas. Another option, although not many American makes run in it, is the Paris-Dakar rally. A few other places to look are the Lucas oil off road series (now called the Amsoil Championship Off Road Series), or the Super Stadium Truck series.

So far I'm leaning toward a mix of the two fords below, yellow as the main colour, gun metal on the bottom, light grey and white striping. Maybe black or flat black hood.
Will have to 3d print and paint some KC light covers for the front, and maybe figure out some sort of roll bar in the bed.
I know most of these are Fords, but, it might give you some ideas.

Walker Evans black and silver truck (he also did this one in blue and white).
View attachment 168154

Robby Gordons truck.
View attachment 168155

So far I'm leaning toward a mix of the two fords below, yellow as the main colour, gun metal on the bottom, light grey and white striping. Maybe black or flat black hood.
Will have to 3d print and paint some KC light covers for the front, and maybe figure out some sort of roll bar in the bed.
Years ago, my dad and i owned a yellow 75 C-10 Step Side, except, where the white was in the pic, ours was a metallic silver, and, i always liked the way that truck looked painted that way ( the raised part of the hood in the center was also painted the same metallic silver):

OLD C-10.jpg

Man, sketching out a paintjob takes me a long time haha.
I think I've got 3 hours into trimming and drawing on the protective film.
Stay tuned for colour sample and livery sneek peek!

Here is the body, trimmed and layed out.
Have a couple small tweaks to make with the design, but its good enough to get masking.
IMG_2362.jpeg

IMG_2363.jpeg

However, i did a tester for the colours, and i dont think I'm set on the colour combo.
I'm set on the flo yellow and the dark gun metal, but something about the blue doesn't sit right for me. Thoughts? Maybe flo blue or flo pink? Or light grey?
Also going to try for a bit more fade in the gun metal blocks.
IMG_2361.jpeg

Back