very inconsistent tune

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danni200505

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Flying
i am chasing down an issue on my dad's hpi bullet 3.0. The tuning is incredibly inconsistent.
I've tuned quite a bit of engines before with good results but this one is just getting me. I go adjust it as i normally would until i'm happy. Engine sounds great and all is fine. five minutes later and it is either really really rich, or lean to the point that it stalls under throttle. I can't really find a pattern in when it is doing it either. Just really inconsistent. Compression is good, the engine is quite old but we probably have less than 10 liters on it so it should not be worn out just yet. Sometimes i can run it for a tank or two with only minor tuning required, but most of the time i have to constantly tune it to keep it running.
i've checked the tank for vaccum leaks and I've sealed the pipe real good. Shuts of instantly when the pipe is covered. Also removed the main jet to make sure it wasn't gummed up. I cleaned the carb and put some gasket maker on the engine side when i put it back just to rule that out. Still doing the same and i am running out of ideas.

i am chasing down an issue on my dad's hpi bullet 3.0. The tuning is incredibly inconsistent.
I've tuned quite a bit of engines before with good results but this one is just getting me. I go adjust it as i normally would until i'm happy. Engine sounds great and all is fine. five minutes later and it is either really really rich, or lean to the point that it stalls under throttle. I can't really find a pattern in when it is doing it either. Just really inconsistent. Compression is good, the engine is quite old but we probably have less than 10 liters on it so it should not be worn out just yet. Sometimes i can run it for a tank or two with only minor tuning required, but most of the time i have to constantly tune it to keep it running.
i've checked the tank for vaccum leaks and I've sealed the pipe real good. Shuts of instantly when the pipe is covered. Also removed the main jet to make sure it wasn't gummed up. I cleaned the carb and put some gasket maker on the engine side when i put it back just to rule that out. Still doing the same and i am running out of ideas.

Pull the needles back out an rub some very sticky grease on the o-rings an test run it to see
if that makes a difference ,if it does ,then your o-rings are bad on the needles!..😎

Pull the needles back out an rub some very sticky grease on the o-rings an test run it to see
if that makes a difference ,if it does ,then your o-rings are bad on the needles!..😎
allright! will try that. Thank you for the reply