using bearing grease in the differentals...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ausher

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Anyone ever use bearing grease in both diffs? How does it work out?

A few years back I had a 1/8 nitro buggy, I used to mix high temp bearing grease mixed with 15w50 semi synthetic engine oil in the 3 diffs. Never had any problems with it & never noticed any wear either & it seemed to go pretty well around the track when racing to.
I would mix it so it wasn't to thick, just enough grease in the oil to thicken it up a small amount, it would still be slightly runny so it wouldn't just fling of the gears & stick to the casing, but also used to fill the diff casing about 3/4 full after gears were put it.
Maybe I should just do that with my Revo instead of getting proper rc diff oil like I was going to do.

i use 1:1 wheel bearing grease, works a charm and makes for a smooth roll.

i fill the case about 1/2 way.

I use the STP engine additive. Almost as thick as honey and so far so good.

Whoah wait... are we talking about in the diff case, or within the diff cup where the four spider gears are??

In the diff cup. I think I'll try it when I tear it down to convert everything to a 3.3. Just waiting on the chassis.

I figure thick grease will give both tires traction, but slip enough to turn...

Thick grease will tend to get pushed to the sides and allow the gears to turn somewhat free. I prefer thick oil.

will 90wt work in the front/rear diffs.?what wt do you use 2revo1maxx?it looks like that oil would leak out of the diff because there are no seals in the diffs just the bearings?i am going to try it. had too break down the revo few days ago took everything apart to check it out.just routine maintence.

I use axle grease mixed with ROYAL PURPLE gear oil in all my rc car diff.