Used HPI Baja 5B vs Rovan Baja 305A?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pug

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
I wanna save up for a large-scale buggy, I know the Rovan is a clone, but is it any good? And the HPI Baja 5B is twice the price at about $1000 used. I would like to go down the cheaper route, but does Rovan make good stuff? I’m not going to be bashing, mainly small jumps, running in a field and possibly racing on a track.

I have the Rovan 5b with the Q Baja conversion. It is my favorite rig and yes, I think they are very good and well worth the money.

IMG_0207.JPG

I have the Rovan 5b with the Q Baja conversion. It is my favorite rig and yes, I think they are very good and well worth the money.

View attachment 140615
The swb version looks really good! I will probably get the lwb version since I want to race it.

@pug I would also suggest checking out the used market, you can typically find large scale RC's for good prices.
In my area, large scale RCs are not popular at all, I checked for used large scales in my area and I couldn’t find anything except for a Raminator which is way out of my budget. I did find an HPI Baja 5b, but it’s a two hour drive.

I believe @cbaker65 is running KM Baja. It's impressive also.
I have a bunch of parts left over from this one I modded so I am going to build another one but full size with a 45cc engine.

@Tunedpipe where did you buy your Rovan from? The official site, Banggood, etc?

In my area, large scale RCs are not popular at all, I checked for used large scales in my area and I couldn’t find anything except for a Raminator which is way out of my budget. I did find an HPI Baja 5b, but it’s a two hour drive.
I'd check the RCTalk classifieds, or LargeScaleForums classifieds and eBay.

@Tunedpipe where did you buy your Rovan from? The official site, Banggood, etc?
I ordered mine from ebay, the seller is Rovanrc but the site is Here. On sale years ago I only paid $490 I think, but 5b is still very reasonable.
Rovanrc on ebay has a ton of parts. Another one is Here

I ordered mine from ebay, the seller is Rovanrc but the site is Here. On sale years ago I only paid $490 I think, but 5b is still very reasonable.
Rovanrc on ebay has a ton of parts. Another one is Here
I was looking for that site ,was going to post it!
I was wanting to try to get the Rovan 5b ,it is a great price ,the 5b would be great for small jumps
as the Baja don't jump well!..😎
Rovan ,KM is hooking up with Primal I think an is going to become Fearless RC in the future!

Fearless is finally where I found my aluminum wheels for my 5b. They actually have a ton of parts available also.
I ordered a Q baja body in red but they sent the green. I like the green better actually so I kept it.
I agree, they don't jump very well but they sure look cool screaming across the sand dunes...:cool:

Back