Upsizing chassis advice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiritdriven7

RCTalk Basher
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a 2.5 short chassis Tmaxx and have a bare bones 3.3 long chassis to build. What parts would I need to upgrade to fit my 2.5 drivetrain in the longer chassis?

Center shafts are going to be your main issue, what tranny do you have,black or grey with reverse?

It's the black stock w/reverse from the 2.5. I bought a longer center shaft set but one of the u-joint couplings has two pins...not designed to fit what I have so far. Thanks for your help. Will I need the grey tranny?

Last edited:
Great idea...thank you Nitro! (what is a nitrotrout and do they put up much of a fight in the stream?) I just happen to have an extra 2.5 center shaft. Any tip, especially one that saves me time and money is greatly appreciated!

NitroTrout <--Fast swimming, good fighting sport fish. Not recommended for eating as they give off a stench that burns the eyes and sinuses.

Good answer Mr. Trout.

<--takes a bow. Thanks gents, I'll be here all week.

spiritdriven, how's the project coming along, sir?

The only thing holding me back is the rain now. Had a few small setbacks...no real problems. The longer chassis is a forward only without the reverse servo cutout and I guess there must be a difference between conversion kits for the black vs grey transmissions? I just left the gearing in place for now. Can't wait to put it on my practice track. Come on sunshine!

Attachments

• track_3 small.jpg
    track_3 small.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 163
Love the grass track!
We are in the same boat here in Florida ATM, all of my bashin spots look more like lakes right now, we've gotten like half a years worth rain in the last 2wks.
I'm thinking I may need to add a boat to the fleet!

A boat? That's a great idea...especially if we have rain all next week!

The grass track is just a few weeks old...cut to ½" on the track itself. You may be able to see my tile system crossing the track...there's an underground spring a few inches below the surface and rain will shut me down until it drains off. On the plus side...I can get a little air when I cross it on the straightaway. I use a ladder for a stand and car ramps for jump practice. More fun than golf...and (maybe) less expensive????

Attachments

• track_1_small.jpg
    track_1_small.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 154
<--takes a bow. Thanks gents, I'll be here all week.

spiritdriven, how's the project coming along, sir?

Well...it all began when I mis-judged the turning radius at about 30mph...slammed into the corner of my shop building. Pic #1 is the aftermath. Pic #2 is the long chassis rebuild...nearly complete...but not without a few hiccups. I'll have it on the track Wednesday if it's dry. It sounds great...can't wait to see if the longer chassis handles better.

Attachments

• photo1.sm.jpg
    photo1.sm.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 138
  • long build.b.jpg
    long build.b.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 168
Next time you have it down for an ooops or just maintenance here are some freebees or almost freebees.

1)Double up on both or only the far side brake pad(#4965 $3.50).
2)Sacrifice a retractable pen for it's spring, cut it down & put it between the pads on the bolts.
3)Replace the tube on the brake linkage with a stiff spring, it give better brake feel.
4)Get 6, 5x8x2.5mm bearings from AvidRC.com($1 each) for the steering(4) & throttle(2) bell cranks.
5)Fill all 12 holes ion the spur with friction pegs.
6)Make a tank lid pull out of 2 long zip ties & some fuel tube, makes holding the lid open easier for lid on refueling.
Zip the tie into the tank lids hole down tight, slide fuel tube onto the zip tie, then use the second tie to secure the tube & cut off the unused tie portion.

#1 & #2
054-1-1.jpg

034-1.jpg

011.jpg

Maxx upsized!

Here it is, built and running well. Moving on to build a resurrected Revo...anyone have any extra cash laying around?

Attachments

• almost finished.jpg
    almost finished.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 172
  • mostly new.jpg
    mostly new.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 159
  • running now.jpg
    running now.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 162
  • prographics body.jpg
    prographics body.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 150
Done...

Upsize completed...tracks straight and well balanced...I'm selling this (once the mods let me :( ) and building a 2.5, pull start, T-maxx classic with a 1950 Chevy truck body! (right after I finish resurrecting the Revo). This is habit-forming!

Attachments

• sale1.jpg
    sale1.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 145
  • sale3.jpg
    sale3.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 158
Looks brand new. Nice work man! :thumbup: