Upgrades to the maxx

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zdragon71

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Over the past few weeks i have been ordering parts to upgrade on my tmaxx. I've received most everything except some green slime to assemble the UE supershocks i bought from Nikko508 here at rcnt. The list of things I've done or in process of finishing is as follows.
Hot Racing aluminum bulkheads front and rear.
GPM Aluminum shock towers.
Pull start for picco .26 max to get rid of ez start.
Bad horsie diff locking grease packed in front and rear diffs.
FLM cups and HPI dogbone for the front to match rear.
Onboard temp gauge.
Still need to buy aluminum chassis braces and a ERCM pipe.
Still need to buy aluminum front and rear bumpers.
Still need to buy new lid. 72 model chevy body in mind.
I will add some pics later to show progress.

<---jealous of the parts being thrown at that thing. BTW what lenght dogbone are you using for the front?

Hpi 77mm dogbone and using the flm front driveshaft kit for the cups??

The 72 chev body is the cats ass

tt2.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Nice truck BTW. What version of the ERCM pipe
Do you plan on running

Hpi 77mm dogbone and using the flm front driveshaft kit for the cups??

The 77 fits the rear I have already done that. I dont believe it would work on the front. Looks like the front shaft is longer?

The 77mm fits the front of a 4907/4908 chassis, I have done the conversion myself as I wanted the front to match the rear

Well news to me. Thanks tho.

The 77 works but i actually have a 78mm in front and it just does fit. No play left in it with the FLM cups. Also i plan on getting the BB straight end bleed ERCM pipe. Already purchased the adapter from Racer1966 here on the site and found an OFNA u shaped manifold that will work on ebay. Found the front and rear bumpers I'm gonna get on ebay as well for $27 each. The pipe will have to wait for now as i have spent a bit much already over the past couple weeks on everything else. I ran a tank thru her yesterday and i am very pleased with the performance of both the UE shocks and the badhorsie diff locking grease. She launches straight and true now and is actually really difficult to roll over now. Hell my 1/8 hpi buggy rolls easier than my tmaxx now. So far very happy with everything done. I also really like the hot racing bulkheads with the removable centers. It makes getting the diffs out as easy as removing bumper and axle pins from diff and sliding them straight out without having to take the front or rear end completely apart. Plus they look good as well.

Here it is with shocks installed. Finally
View attachment 12166View attachment 12167
Running blue springs in rear and red in front with associated 50wt shock oil in both. Figure when i get my new lid i will two tone it red and blue with a silver graphic as a separator .

Last edited:
I love those shocks!...lookin good man,

transmited from a mobile communications device

Thanks! It handles so much better now.

Real nice work! One of the first things I did on my Maxx was get rid of that EZ Start, too; pulling that cord was part of the fun, for me. :D

Ok i can now add an ofna u shaped manifold and a 1/8 scale THS pipe to the list of parts to be installed. Just as soon as they hit the doorstep. Gonna have to wait a bit longer on the ERCM pipe but the ths will be better than the o e I'm running now for the picco. Too much back preasure still and causing her to flood out too easy. More pics when done.

After running today a managed to break the proline tank somehow. Will not be getting another after reading all the reviews on it. It is junk and apparently proline needs to make some serious changes in the materials used to mold it. Thinking of doing the battery box mod and installing a traxxas vee boat tank on it. Any other suggestions will be heard and considered.

The best tank IMO for the Maxx is the Ofna Violator tank. If you break one of those, you have a lot more than a tank to worry about.
Reduces the 1/2 tank lean issue considerably, built in fuel filter, 360 degree swivel top for the pressure line, fits in place of the battery box with only 1 hole needed drilled in the chassis, 150cc capacity.
I could have told you the run time tank was junk… Bust it open and save the clunk though, you may be able to use it on something else.

Nice snook will do. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 6:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:51 PM ----------

On the plus side with the latest upgrades finished the truck handled like a totally different rig on the track today. Corners better, takes jumps better and also stays straight when you hammer it thanks to the bad horsie grease and the UE supershocks. Great investment on shocks no doubt!!

Nice snook will do. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 6:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:51 PM ----------

On the plus side with the latest upgrades finished the truck handled like a totally different rig on the track today. Corners better, takes jumps better and also stays straight when you hammer it thanks to the bad horsie grease and the UE supershocks. Great investment on shocks no doubt!!

You're welcomed.. :D

Back