upgrade

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark_richter

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
is their any upgrades that should be done to a bone stock, out of the box Monster GT?

The factory reciever cuts the voltage to the servos from 6 to 4 volts. If you unplug the reciever battery pack from the BATT port, and plug it into the AUX port, you get the full 6 volts to the servos and they work much better.

I removed the shield on the spur gear because it gets in the way. I also moved the primer bulb to the left hand side of the chassis so I can get to it without reaching around to the other side of the truck when starting it with the body on.

I upgraded my transmission with an aluminum 2 speed pinion gear set out of a Savage. You have to do it right, or you end up with problems.... but my ported 21 has drank a gallon of 20% and hasn't had any problems with the aluminum gear set.... Even though my buddies truck broke the stock plastic set within the first 1/2 gallon.

Removing the spring on the brake linkage, and replaceing it with rubber fuel tubing drastically helps the truck stop faster. I did away with the spring all together, and set mine up solid. If you adjust the leverage point of the brake arm on the tranny, you can adjust your brakes to make the truck lock all 4 wheels if you wan ti to, with all stock brake hardware.

I also installed an Ofna fail safe on my GT before I ever drove it, Ofna makes one that is super small and works great. It already saved my buddies truck when someone didn't clear thier channel before turning on thier radio which was on the same channel. If you plan to run your truck with the stock AM radio, a fail safe is an excellent investment.

Other than that stuff, the truckx are rock solid. I love mine.

Bill,
Does switching that battery to the aux port hurt the car or electronics?

How long does the battery last for by doing this?

They last the same. But when you take fresh batteries, and cut the voltage down 2 volts, the batteries seem to go dead within 2 tanks of fuel. I have ran my truck this way, and my buddies truck this way for over a gallon of fuel with no problems.

Originally posted by Bill Hoskinson
They last the same. But when you take fresh batteries, and cut the voltage down 2 volts, the batteries seem to go dead within 2 tanks of fuel. I have ran my truck this way, and my buddies truck this way for over a gallon of fuel with no problems.
Ok you lost me with the 2 volts? how do you cut down 2 volts? Are you talking about putting things in parallel like resistance? I mean in electronics putting two things like 2 ressistors in parallel cuts their total resistance nearly in half. If this is what you mean I could understand why the pack would go dead within 2 tanks. LMK!

Ok, follow with me here-

The stock reciever (for what ever reason) is designed to decrease voltage from the battery pack to the servos by 2 volts.

batteries when fresh, will show a higher voltage when they are new out of the package than they will after 10 minutes of use under a load.

Forinstance- Lets say you have a fresh battery pack that shows 6.2 volts fully charged.

The batteries will quickly lose some voltage, and then stabilize at around 5.8 volts.

So when you first fire up your radio, the servos will see 4.2 volts with fresh batteries, but once the batteries lose some of the voltage and settle down at around 5.8 volts, your servos will now only see 3.8. At 3.8 volts, your servo's hardly work.

However, if they were recieving the full battery pack voltage, even after the batteries lose thier full charge, the servos still see 5.8 bolts, and they work just fine.

Roger that?:doh: :madface: :smart: :doh:

:worship: that was a great:idea: I am going to try it out!!this will definitley help me when I get the 2100Mah 6V Receiver pack!!

Back