Unknown set screw adjustment.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

militarymaxx

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Not sure if these are on other buggies, but they're on my Storm.
On each swing arm, near the hinge pin, there is this set screw. It's not the one that secures the hinge pin itself from sliding out, I've identified that one. This one is larger in length and diameter. The manual id's it as 4X12 mm set screw. It can be adjusted all the way through the a-arm and this is what I'm thinking. Is it some kind of fine adjustment for the a-arm ? If I adjust it in enough it will eventually meet up with the chassis and this would keep me from over extending the shocks. Am I on to something or does it serve another purpose ? If I am correct, what is the proper adjustment ?

That screw is used to determine the amount of shock travel you want to use while in flight. When you are in the air, the shocks will extend as far as they can. By taking that screw in, it will prevent the shocks from fully extending. With the X5, if you do not use it and run with max droop your wheel will rub the upper tie rod in the rear. So I set mine so I won't have max droop in the rear. If I remember correctly, doesn't the storm also have a set screw in the A-arm to prevent the chassis from bottoming out also. My old X4 had one but my new one does not.

Last edited:
I've accepted the fact that my first guess or impression is usually wrong! :) I had looked at these set screws on my Storm also.. I see what you guys are saying.. I was leaning more toward a (Ride-Height) adjustment... Do they worry about that with 1/8 buggies?? is this a possibility? if you screw them down you lower the ride height.. just a thought.. peace!

I hear what you're saying indy, but I usually adjust my ride height with the collars. But I guess you could accomplish the same thing with the set screw also. My storm doesn't have anything that would prevent the chassis from bottoming out, except for the shocks. Mine are set in a way that coming off of a decent jump or table top, it pancakes. That's price I pay for having a suspension setup that allows me to get through the whoops more easily. I think I'm going to do what FRB mentioned. Turn the screws in until I take some of the 'full extension' away, or as I like to call it,
'frog leg-itus'. (imagine holding a frog in the air and his legs.......well, I think you get the picture).

indy,
I guess you could do it that way. I would just do as military said and use your collars to adjust ride height.

Dont tell me I actually guessed one right!! :) Double WOW!!