Twin engines?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, would they have to be adjusted then when they are run together?

Thanks. I'm tossing the idea around of a 1/5 scale Savage. The TVP kit is ~$150, and maybe twin Losi 454s? Total cost around $450, plus misc parts, fuel tank, lines, etc.

Super punch off the line, and great high speed since you can raise the gearing. Major bling, but don't waste your time or money on superchargers.

WOW.jpg

Don't need superchargers. I think twin engines will be sufficient. The extended TVPs can't be that much heavier than the originals.

Are those XL length TVPs, or 1/5 scale? I didn't see anything that was 1/5 under the Savage listing.

When tuning twins, it is very easy to get it wrong.

You will need to tune the first engine at temp, then switch it off, and fire up the second engine and bring it up to the same temp as the first. Do not fall into the trap of trying to tune both engines at once! If this is not done, I can guarantee that the second engine started will be leaned out too much to match the first engine due to it not being at the same temp, and when running on the track, the second engine will be too lean and may even blow a rod or worse!

You must tune one engine at a time, and allow the second engine to reach the same temp as the first before making ANY needle adjustments. This necessitates the use of a temp gun, and once both are tuned and running on the track, any adjustment made to one MUST be made to the other.

Some problems may be encountered if you use a single tank to feed both engines. Sometimes a lean condition may be caused in one engine due to vibration, this causes a fluctuation in the intake and disrupts the air flow, leaning out that carb, and a single tank can cause this to be doubly worse. The best setup is with 2 tanks that feed each engine separately and use the pipe pressure of the same engine for each tank.
Another simple fix for this condition is to use a smaller venturi, which increases the pulse across the fuel outlet dragging more fuel into the engine.

Cheers.
:D

Sounds like a big ol' pain in the ass. Dual servos are bad enough.:) Save some weight and run one good engine.

Sounds like a big ol' pain in the ass. Dual servos are bad enough.:) Save some weight and run one good engine.

Starting to think the same. $300 for two motors, I could spend that $300 on a really good engine instead.

i very roughly bodged two koyosho gx 12 engines on a 1/10 before,, was a pain to tune right with one tank but it was worth the hassle just to hear the sound of two motors going together ! sounds awesome.

It does seem to be very impressive to run two engines ( and visually just kick a..) but I dont think it would worth the trouble id rather just run one big freakin engine :D