Tuning Savage XL engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonn87

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
OK, i pretty much have the tuning down, for the most part. My truck is finally moving pretty good. But i can't seem to get my truck to do wheelies?? what needle do i have to lean out for that extra acceleration? The high, medium or low speed needle?

I'm pretty sure, if you lean out the low speed needle a little not alot, it should wheely. I know some trucks need a little bounce on the front wheels to get it up. Just my $.02. Maybe rolex should take this 1

I'm pretty sure, if you lean out the low speed needle a little not alot, it should wheely. I know some trucks need a little bounce on the front wheels to get it up. Just my $.02. Maybe rolex should take this 1

yeah I've been leaning it out a couple of times now and I'm not sure how much farther i can go without harming the engine..?

Leaning the LSN is what will give you the good launch off the line, but at the same time, go a hair to far and your start running hot. You need to keep a close eye on your temps. Just keep in mind, most engines won't reach their peak power till they've had well over a gallon through them and have been properly broken in and well cared for.

Leaning the LSN is what will give you the good launch off the line, but at the same time, go a hair to far and your start running hot. You need to keep a close eye on your temps. Just keep in mind, most engines won't reach their peak power till they've had well over a gallon through them and have been properly broken in and well cared for.

ok so what does it mean when i slow down from a fast run and my engines shuts down? too lean? too rich? which needle do i adjust first? all the needles are imprtant right?

It could be either, but if your trying to do wheelies then probally too lean. I had a hard time with my XL, temps were too high or rather higher than I had hoped. But if I kept it any richer than I could not get any performance so it's a fine balance. As far as wheelies are concerned, two things - first the spur gear tension may have to be adjusted. They say a half turn out from all the way in, mine was too loose. Second the stock pipe is crap, it restricts the exhaust too much, I managed to remove the baffle inside the pipe, took about 45 min but well worth it!!! IT'S VERY VERY LOUD, but a wheelie machine, and it runs cooler about 260 deg. :)

ok so what does it mean when i slow down from a fast run and my engines shuts down? too lean? too rich? which needle do i adjust first? all the needles are imprtant right?

Too lean on the HSN, richen it up.

It could also be that you have your carb closed too much, open it up a little bit because when you are slowing down and putting on the breaks, it might be closing it just a little too much.

It could be either, but if your trying to do wheelies then probally too lean. I had a hard time with my XL, temps were too high or rather higher than I had hoped. But if I kept it any richer than I could not get any performance so it's a fine balance. As far as wheelies are concerned, two things - first the spur gear tension may have to be adjusted. They say a half turn out from all the way in, mine was too loose. Second the stock pipe is crap, it restricts the exhaust too much, I managed to remove the baffle inside the pipe, took about 45 min but well worth it!!! IT'S VERY VERY LOUD, but a wheelie machine, and it runs cooler about 260 deg. :)

Which pipe would you recommend buying...? do you have a link?

I managed to remove the baffle inside the pipe, . :)

so does the xl stock tune pipe have a baffle in it that can be removed without throwing your tune out of whack or messing with backpressure??

Back