Tuning problems...I guess

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drragonx

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm done with breaking in my new savage x4.6. However during the first run i experienced few problems mainly being its sluggish and slow performance. It died when I applied throttle but after some heating up it started running. I'd like to know if its the problem with tuning or am I doing something wrong? Temperatures around here are at 45c so is leaning safe?

I dont' know C but in Fahrenheit it's 220 or so is safe below that you can tune lean much above you probably want to richen it. There is an article on here that has a whole graph for tuning I found insanely helpful however find it..I cannot otherwise I'd link it here.

Its definitely a tuning problem. If you've broken it in, warm it up and lean it out a quarter turn. Do some high speed passes and lean it out just a bit more and see what happens. You should start seeing an increase in speed and performance.

What are your needles set at? It sounds rich, but before I advise you to lean, I'd like to know your current settings (as it could be a case of being too lean as well).

One other question: how did you break it in? You did lean it out a bit as you were breaking it in, correct? I only ask, as if you left the needles at factory settings during the entire break-in, I doubt you got the temps up enough to seat the piston/sleeve. If that is the case, go a bit easy as you lean it out. Else you're free to go balls to the wall with it. ;-)

Last edited:
What are your needles set at? It sounds rich, but before I advise you to lean, I'd like to know your current settings (as it could be a case of being too lean as well).

One other question: how did you break it in? You did lean it out a bit as you were breaking it in, correct? I only ask, as if you left the needles at factory settings during the entire break-in, I doubt you got the temps up enough to seat the piston/sleeve. If that is the case, go a bit easy as you lean it out. Else you're free to go balls to the wall with it. ;-)

It's at flush. Didnt adjust it after the break-in. Btw, my Lhs did the break-in so I'm unsure whether they did lean it out. Yesterday, I tried leaning the hsn 3 1/8 turns and the performance increased. But I'd like to know when to stop leaning. It's pretty hot where I live and I use 30% nitro. Sorry for asking too many questions ( I'm still a beginner). And thx alot for replying.

---------- Post added at 2:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 2:27 AM ----------

Something to add up. The 2 speed transmission never engages. Should I like adjust it (the transmission) or like make it more lean)

You are doing the right thing by asking questions, so no worries. This is one of those things you want to know what your doing before you are doing it.

I really hope your LHS did not charge you for breaking in the engine. You're new, so it's not your fault, but I cringe when I hear that.

Below is a link for tuning your engine. The tuning part starts at 14:05. Definitely well-worth the watch. I'd suggest setting everything back to flush...watch the video and go from there. It's important to go in the order they tell you, else you'll just be fighting the engine. Reach out if you have questions after watching he vid. ;-)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb1mcW33maM"]HPI Big Block Getting Started Guide - YouTube[/ame]

There is also a sticky on this site about tuning. Check it out, it will really help. Don't worry to much about hot weather.

So should I breakin again?

I wouldn't "break it in" again, just get it tuned so that it's slightly rich but still getting over 200f. Run a few EASY tanks through it, easing on the throttle and not going WOT for more than a couple seconds. After you've done that, start tuning for performance. After that, worry about the shifting, it may sort itself out once your tuning is better.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

While its not imperative, it never hurts to have temp gun. Most of the time if your engine is too lean...you'll know (lack of smoke..it sputters, etc.). Where a temp gun comes in handy is once you get it tuned to your liking, you can take its temp and use that as a base setting. Thus some engines are optimized at 220, some at 250, etc.

Back