Tuning??? Problem??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reddog

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Well I have been running my maxx without issue sense repairing the back plate. Now it smokes and sounds like it is rich however if you lean it out it gets hot and will not run. Performance is WAY down, at time barely able to move and sounds like crap. Note that it was running great after the repair then from one tank to the next it all went down hill. Literally that fast. I first thought that I had got something in it when I added fuel so I cleaned out the tank, lines and even pulled the card and cleaned it out as well. I put a new o-ring on and put everything back together. Still running like a bad tune. Almost like it is lean on the bottom and rich on top. So I opened the LSN and closed the top a little. Result, NO POWER at all!!
Syntoms are: No power, hot at times, hard starting, will not idle. Now I leaned out the bottom again andd got some power but will not idle.
Have I just wore this thing out? It does have at least 15 gallons through it. And I got it used. Not very often one of these things stumps me like this but when it does it is good. Of course it could be that I am working 60 hours a week and am tired enough that I am missing something really simple here to.
Thank You all, Shaun

Your local hobby shop can do a compression test on the engine. To me it sounds like your engine is shot. That's pretty normal signs of a worn out engine what you are describing. It could possibly be a air leak but sounds like time to upgrade the engine if your still running the original 2.5.

That is my suspicion as well. It has been starting to have some more issues and it may be time to either rebuild or replace it. kind of a bummer though. Shaun

Well Bamafan, you were dead right. I tore the entire engine down this morning and found the tell tail grey slime. Along with a bad bearing, she is worn out. Kinda bums me out but I knew it was coming. Will wait until I get the stuff from Skinny to get it going again. A 3.3 should really wake this truck up. Shaun

I got a t maxx with a lrp .30. That's the best bang for your buck. I did have to beef the tranny up some and do a forward only conversion but it's worth it. Even the 3.3 is still kinda weak in the maxx. I would go with atleast a .28 or bigger. Just my opinion. I've had great luck with lrp engines and there not much more than the 3.3.

Now an LRP is a big block, right? I would rather enjoy more power, but I would rather, for this truck, go with a drop in engine fore it. I have been looking at the Dynomite .19 for it.

Never had great luck with dynamite engines but that's just me. The os .21 is a direct drop in and that will bring your maxx to life. That's what I have in my revo right now. Good engine. Kinda pricey though. I probably wouldn't buy another one because lrp is just as good to me and cheaper and more powerful. Even with the big block mount lrp engines would be cheaper than a os motor.