Tuning issues

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hocman22

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I ran my savage x today and I've been having some tuning issues. It doesn't seem to be reacting to tuning as well as it used to. I've been playing the idle and its all over the place. once is gets to temp i idle it nice then "tune" everything but it changes the idle. Then i do the idle and everything else changes. -.- any ideas?

Set the idle gap and leave it alone, then lean the Lsn if the motor doesn't want to idle or die. If it sounds like chewbacca then it's lean and needs to be richened up. Once you have it to where it idles and won't die upon take off, move onto the hsn. Again if it sounds like the idle is hanging its lean, if it struggles and sounds like it bogging with lots of smoke it rich and needs to be leaned out.

Set the gap to 1mm, the thickness of a credit card
When you play with the hsn and Lsn make 1/12 to 1/8 turns on the needles at a time and make a pass to test out the change.

There are tons of threads here on how to tune properly but heres a quick order of steps.

Reset needles to factory. Set idle screw according to manual also. Then tune performance turning the hsn in 1/8 clockwise turns (lean) every wide open run you make until you see no more gain in performance, then turn it back counter clockwise 1/8 turn. By now it may be idling faster as leaning the hsn causes higher idle. Adjust your lsn to tune responsiveness and this will also affect idle, this is optional if you are new to nitro. Then adjust idle screw until you have a smooth idle.

Your manual should explain the steps pretty much same way as above.

Keep in mind you may want to richen or lean slightly depending on outside temps or altitude.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks guys!

---------- Post added at 6:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 6:38 AM ----------

another thing that happened when i was running yesterday, my brakes work sometimes then stop. The servo still moves with it but the brakes dont engage. If you manually pull the linkage the brakes lock up nicely. the throttle also doesn't open all the way because of the servo. Is it the servo or the linkage? I'm thinking about upgrading to the ofna mod but should i get a new servo as well? This is the servo i have: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200367636699?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

It could be you linkage needs to be zeroed out and adjusted. It could also be the servo going bad. Just because a servo has a good torque rating and speed does not make it a good servo. Its best to stick with good name brands like Savox, hitech, and even the higher end Futaba metal geared servos. A Savox SC0251mg will be a good one for steering and throttle/brake. Very affordable and great quality servo.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=130882425817&index=1&nav=SEARCH&nid=45279387851

okay what are you running for your steering servo? i'm running the same servo but its slowly crapping out

---------- Post added at 6:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 6:32 AM ----------

also just reading on amain the specs for the servo, it says its taller most servos, will it still fit?
Thanks for all the help!!

Look at your servo while its mounted and see how much room you have under it if any to house a taller servo. Usually there is room to work with. If its too tall then check the specs on the Futaba S3305mg and see if its closer. Its 125oz inces @ 6v with metal gears as well. I run that servo on my 1/8 scale buggy steering and throttle/brake. I'm still using the traxxas 2075 on my tmaxx throttle/brake. Its the same rating as the futaba and water proof. I've actually had pretty good luck with that particular traxxas servo. All the other ones traxxas makes has given me problems and been too weak and slow for my preferences.

I run hitec 5625s and hitec 965s for steering. The 965 is great. .10 / 132 @ 6v and tough as nails

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Back