truck build.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aj200415

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
ok, i am putting a weed eater engine on a truck. The only question i have is there to much torque, and will it burn up my rear gear box( i will make it rear wheel drive only)

i am building it reguardless of the probs. just wondering if there will be a prob and a possible fix.

Yes, & most likely Yes.... Good luck with your project..

can i tune the clutch down so it doesn't have as much torque?

well its a duratax(thunder quake)....everyones got there opinions and i own one and its real durable.its a starter.

ah yes finally another project for this part of the forum. good luck to yah. i dont think you can adjust it to have less torque.:ponder2:

just to keep it from opening up all the way, cut bac power.

k, i will work on that , gotta talk the egine casing off of it first.

Should post up some pics of the progress. Id like to check it out. Good luck with the build.

aj200415 said:
can i tune the clutch down so it doesn't have as much torque?
No, but you can increase gear ratio so the final drive doesn't see as much torque.

You'll need to increase the gearing anyway to maintain road speed since these larger (> 20cc) petrol engines don't run anywhere near as fast as the tiny glow fuel engines that the small scale models run.

Even then I doubt that the gears in your diff will be up to it. You need to look at the size of the gears used in 1:5 scale models, since you are using an engine with similar characteristics to these kind of cars.

Good luck with this though and do let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
NEW PLANS: (i hope) ok, i am going to make a straight shaft that goes from one wheel to the other, with like a bracket welded to it, and run a bike chain to it from the engine.

the only problem, the guy that has my thunder quake rolling chassis, let a guy borrow it to sell it for him, and we can't get ahold of him!..with out the rolling chassi I'm out cause he was selling it to me cheap.

will try real hard to get it back, been calling him non-stop!

Last edited:
I think these engines are always spinning. Even when its in idle it will always move it forward if ya do it directly like that. Id still run it thrugh the tranny. Do Thunder Quake have metal geared trannies? If not, your gonna have to do that.

yeah they do, but i dunno how I'm gonna do that. engines to tall, and i dunno how I'm going to mount it cause i have to "central" mount it because its so big.

I was looking into doing a weed eater conversion at one time but then bought my FG monster beetle. But I had read a thread at RC Universe about a guy that put one in a Tmaxx and it worked out so well he did another. Here is a link to the thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2940774/tm.htm Give it a read there is some good info in it. Good luck with your conversion.

Last edited:
ok, going with a chainsaw or gas hedge trimmer engine cause they have a good idle clutch unlike a weedeater.

Ryhton,

The Traxxas with the Toro gasoline two stroket looks impressive,but the center of gravity is sky high! One thing is sure,these large displacement engines have monster torque.

aj200415,

Lower cc chainsaw engines will have plenty of power,the 56cc and up chainsaw engines will be too big and have gear shredder type output.Only good in large scale trucks with heavyduty gears.

Last edited:
Found a hedge trimmer that is gas powered, and I'm going to go for that because a weed eater doesent have a clutch that will let the truck idle, and stop moving. My friend is hunting down the truck I'm going to use right now.

Back