Trinity foam inserts

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sykotyk

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
<rant on>

The guy at my local hobby shop suggested these inserts when I bought some new tires. He had two T-Maxx's on the counter, one with these inserts and one with stock inserts. These felt much better, so I bought them. Here's the problem.... That little bottle of glue they 'give' you to glue the seperate peices together, who's bright idea was that. I got more glue on me, my clothes and my table than I did on the inserts. I was able to glue two complete sets together plus one side of another before I got so frustrated I wanted to just throw them away. The bottle is way to hard for any kind of squeezing to happen, there is not enough glue in the bottle to make it fall to the top when turned over. It is just a horrible set up. This is probably the last time I buy these. I will deal with the tire roll from now on, or find another company that makes these kind of things. Now I have to go buy more glue just to finish the job.

<rant off>

Thanks for listening, I feel better now.:classic:

3M makes some good spray adhesive that would probably work well. Go to your LHS (local hardware store:beard: ) and they will have it there.

Yes, Use 3M Super 777 spray.
This stuff is perfect for the foam.
Use Masking tape over the foam whare you dont want the glue.
Doing this is a must...........
If you dont the glue will get on the outside and inside of the foam and will glue it to the tire or rim. This is not good.

You will like the 777.

Just Mask, spray on both halfs and push together.

Originally posted by NCNitro
you can also use 3m weather strip adhesive in a tube

Man if he dosent' liek that glue this boy will comit suicide after getting some gorilla snot on his hands. X

It's not that I don't like the glue they sent. It seems to be a standard type contact cement. They need to figure out a better way to present it to the customer. It is not in a user freindly package. I have used the 3M stuff my whole career. I was planning on getting a little bottle of contact cement on the way home, but I think now I will get the spray. I'm sure there will be more uses for that anyway.

Not the be the smart ***ed type, though I always am, but why did you glue them togethewr just because the instructions said to do so. I have a set in my T and never glued them together and they work fine.

3m makes the best products preriod...

Originally posted by El Pirata
Not the be the smart ***ed type, though I always am, but why did you glue them togethewr just because the instructions said to do so. I have a set in my T and never glued them together and they work fine.

Yeah, because the instructions said to do so. And because I am a newbie to the R/C game and don't know any better until people like you let me in on all the little secrets. So for now I learn the hard way. That's alright, at least I'm learning.:)

El Pirata, you might just be lucky you have had no problems. Without glueing them you run a much better chance of them moving inside the tire and bunching up. I glue any of mine that are not already glued. I use 3m gorilla snot (weather strip adhesive) It takes only a few extra minutes, but its gonna take alot longer to try to unglue your tires from the rims after your foams are all bunched up. Do you not glue the tires to the rim either because they tell you too?

My Question is - if you didnt glue them then why would you buy them? Seems to kind of defeat the purpose doesn't it?

I can vouch for the fact that he glues his tires to the rim.

I use one piece foams right now. Honest question...what advantage is there in the multi-piece multi-density foams?

"Supposedly" they provide resistance where it needs to be and give where it needs to be. Also, the more obvious reason for being useful, is the shape when glued together. However, this can be accomplished with trimming normal foams as well. Which is why I can't understand why you wouldnt glue a 3 piece set. Your trying to achieve a 'shape' for your tire.

Gotcha..seems like a lot of effort. Do the multi-density foams keep the tires shape under side stress? As in do they keep the tire from deforming in skids and side slips?

A good set of foam inserts are well worth the $18.00 you pay.
The 2 outside strips are very dense and do a great job of keeping the tire from rolling under during a corner. The softer center strip will let you keep the forward traction.

Originally posted by sykotyk

Yeah, because the instructions said to do so. And because I am a newbie to the R/C game and don't know any better until people like you let me in on all the little secrets. So for now I learn the hard way. That's alright, at least I'm learning.:)

This is one of the most intelligent things I have heard in any forum My hat is off to you syk... X

And to you I give the BIG SUCK

X_789, I guess I should take that as a compliment.:\ :cheerful:

Well, I took the new tires with the inserts in them to the track last week before I left on vacation. WOW, what a difference they make. Not once did I have to roll the tires back straight on the rims. They seemed to help the landings a little too. On the oval track thay kept the truck on a better line then the stock inserts did. I will definately be using these in all tires from now on. I will just know to buy my own glue first.;)

I went back to the hobby shop for other items and just bought a bottle of contact cement. I didn't feel like going to the hardware store to look for the 3M stuff.

Back