Traxxas t-maxx

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raptorbill

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
After some time I have decided to go with a T-MAXX Classic. On TRAXXAS.com it is $390. Does anyone know where I could get one cheaper? Thanks.

After some time I have decided to go with a T-MAXX Classic. On TRAXXAS.com it is $390. Does anyone know where I could get one cheaper? Thanks.

You didn't specify new or used in your post, so I can give you some general advice. But I just bought the same thing too!

Didn't want to pay quite that much, so I looked around on the Internet for something used. I ended up getting one on eBay for about $200. But it wasn't just the stock classic. I had the owner of my local hobby shop look at it, he said after all of the upgrades, I was looking at a $1K car!!! There are definitely some more great deals to be found on there, I was looking at a number of others before I settled on that one, all good deals. Used is always cheaper, but I'm sure there are new ones on there as well.

If you don't mind going used, craigslist is another good place to look. I found one locally (SE Mass) for $150. It appeared stock, but in good shape.

All in all, I'm glad I bought one used (great price, and great way to gain experience, compared to buying one in the box ready to go), but if you really want new, you may not be able to find something much cheaper than what Traxxas sells them for. According to google shopper, the cheapest form an on-line store is around $350 - http://www.google.com/products/cata...-maxx+2.5&cid=10494942991990547178&os=sellers

Even eBay doesn't have much for New, this is the cheapest Buy it Now I found, auctions may have a better price - http://cgi.ebay.com/TRAXXAS-NITRO-T...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb7da76c2

Look at towerhobbies.com. I've dealt with them for years and everytime I get my order its always correct and packaged well. Tower has it for 379 and hopes this helps

Last edited:
Yeah, if you go with used, you might end up with alot of extras if you play your cards right. I ended up with the classic Tmaxx with a 3.3 dropped in but not much else otherwise. I have had to upgrade as I go along. If you are lucky, like CptAwesome, you can get a sweet Tmaxx that is already done up nicely and all you have get extra are the small basics like clutch springs and glow plugs.

Brand new would be nice to have, because you are the first to take it out for a rip, but it has only stock and it is you that has to eat the cost of upgrades.

For brand new:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=t+maxx+4910

Luck had nothing to do with it...

CptAwesome <-- see the name? You just have to be AWESOME

Just kidding. I got super lucky. I can still hardly believe it.

But seriously, I agree with theant. I wouldn't have minded new, because it would be, well...new. But, I think I learned more because I had to take stuff apart and fix things and tweak things, and didn't get it brand new out of the box. I suppose it all comes down to whether you are looking for cheap (used) or simple (new).

+1 on craislist, if you wanna go used..
almost allways tmaxxes on there......seems its a popular rig to buy the "kids" and they get bored with them quick..

Just remember when buying a used nitro assume the engine is trash unless you know them or they let you run a tank through it.

I have had great luck on craigslist also.

Just remember when buying a used nitro assume the engine is trash unless you know them or they let you run a tank through it.

True......if your new to nitro, watch out for "JUST NEEDS TUNING"

Make them fire it up for you

True......if your new to nitro, watch out for "JUST NEEDS TUNING"

Make them fire it up for you
And have them burn a entire tank through it, I've seen too many threads of Help, I bought used..... it runs till warm and then won't start again till cold.
Having them run an entire tank through it would have shown this problem right up front, it they won't run a tank offer them 1/2 or 1/3 of their asking price.

If they are unwilling to run a tank through it then they probably have something to hide, end of the day it's always buyer beware. :)

Since you're new to nitro, I would NOT recommend getting a used truck. It is in your best interest to get a new one from a reputable seller, such as A-Main and the other stores others have listed. I also would not buy off of eBay because you never know what quality you will be sent. I have seen too many horror stories of first timers getting turned off of the hobby by purchasing a "great" used truck that doesn't run.

Since you're new to nitro, I would NOT recommend getting a used truck. It is in your best interest to get a new one from a reputable seller, such as A-Main and the other stores others have listed. I also would not buy off of eBay because you never know what quality you will be sent. I have seen too many horror stories of first timers getting turned off of the hobby by purchasing a "great" used truck that doesn't run.

WHOOPS. Too late.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will go used.I will check craigslist. Again thanks!