Traxxas Sledge build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo27

132 ft = Fun.
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Flying
Working on building my Sledge Ultimate.

Last edited:
I don't see no pictures. 🤣

Car looks great. 👌 the belly shot is giving me a spiderman vibe. Love the orange.

Got me some aluminum parts
20230501_060628_resized.jpg
20230409_080714_resized.jpg
20230501_060628_resized.jpg
20230501_141626_resized.jpg
20230501_141833_resized_1.jpg

I wanted to go with the race car thing. Might try a new color. Orange. Ha.

Sickening build, it looks awesome.

I don't really care about esthetics that much, most of my cars I bought are used with some run time with few exceptions, but it really bothers me when I see scratched chassis. I think it's a brilliant idea that Traxxas made a skid protector for sledge, actually I am not sure why nobody came with that idea before. For racing they are common, but honestly I dont like them because it's a mess to unglue them

I don't see no pictures. 🤣

Car looks great. 👌 the belly shot is giving me a spiderman vibe. Love the orange.
Thanks. I saw many better than this, on this site.
Sickening build, it looks awesome.

I don't really care about esthetics that much, most of my cars I bought are used with some run time with few exceptions, but it really bothers me when I see scratched chassis. I think it's a brilliant idea that Traxxas made a skid protector for sledge, actually I am not sure why nobody came with that idea before. For racing they are common, but honestly I dont like them because it's a mess to unglue them
You don't use glue to attach a skid plate on a sledge.

Thanks. I saw many better than this, on this site.

You don't use glue to attach a skid plate on a sledge.
Yes, it looks like a bolt on. That's why I like it. And I don't like adhesive based chassis protectors for race rc.

English is not my first language and I am tired, probably I didn't express my thoughts best way.

Once the "gloves are off", you're probably going to find out somewhat quickly (as many others have) that the stock chassis & shock towers aren't worth much of anything. Traxxas REALLY cheaped-out in going with 6061 aluminum. Also, the motor mount & spool holders (since they are separate pieces) are also poorly designed. For the chassis, there are a few 7075 options available...I won't direct you to any specific one, as I don't want to give any appearance that I'm being 'preferential', but an internet search should easily show you what choices are available. Regarding the motor mount & spool holder, check out M2C racing, as they have some outstanding choices (all 7075) that combine them into a single entity, providing extra strength & rigidity. Finally, to solve the bending shock tower problem (that will, sooner or later, happen with the Traxxas 6061 towers), there are 7075 options, as well as carbon fiber (such as BasherQueen) options.

Another "defect" in Traxxas' design was the use of dogbones in the rear...WHY Traxxas went this horrible route, many continue to wonder. Traxxas (eventually) came up with their own solution, releasing rear-length versions of the front CVDs, which does help...but, in all honesty, your best bet is to buy a second set of the front CVDs, and install them in the rear. Being slightly longer, they are less likely to "fall out" of the outdrive cups if/when the suspension is fully extended. Speaking of fully-extended suspension, it's advisable to add droop screws. The mounting holes for such is already built into the lower suspension arms...you just need to buy some. Again, M2C has something to take care of this...but, you can also use the TKR1238 droop screws from Tekno.

There are a LOT of upgrade options available, from Traxxas, as well as others. There's a video on YouTube from Ninth Island RC...I admit the filming of the video probably isn't the most polished, but he does go over some of the best upgrade options available (and provides part numbers)...plus, he has the coolest holographic "oil slick" skin applied to the top side of the chassis. Check it out here: Introducing the Sledge-O-Matic

hey, dogbones are better than plastic!
Who said anything about plastic??? Besides, some plastic driveshafts hold up quite well. As for the dogbones, if they keep falling out every time you send the vehicle off a jump, they don't do you any better than plastic...plastic is better than "nothing"...lol

BROKE SOMETHING.gif

well traxxas needs to work on their shafts for sure. at least on the 2x4/4x4 platforms (1/10 scale)
With the exception of the XO-1, UDR, X-MAXX/XRT, and TRX platforms, I'd say ALL platforms. But, truth-be-told, Until Traxxas changes their "gorilla bullying tactics", I am done buying any new Traxxas vehicles. Even for replacement parts on current vehicles, if I can find something better made by someone else (even if it costs slightly more), I will get it from someone else. I'm sure everyone reading this understands exactly what I'm talking about.

With the exception of the XO-1, UDR, X-MAXX/XRT, and TRX platforms, I'd say ALL platforms. But, truth-be-told, Until Traxxas changes their "gorilla bullying tactics", I am done buying any new Traxxas vehicles. Even for replacement parts on current vehicles, if I can find something better made by someone else (even if it costs slightly more), I will get it from someone else. I'm sure everyone reading this understands exactly what I'm talking about.
Couple days ago I bought a nitro rustler that is completely upgraded to the point that is undrivable. When I get a chance I will make a video about it

Bling bling! I love the orange!
Thanks. I do as well. That way I can keep an eye on it when its in the distance. I absolutely love this truck. I love it. 💪 :hyperbuggy:🏁
20230408_125520_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, that DOES look great...something about the contrasting blue & orange actually working together quite nicely. 👍🏼👍🏼