Traxxas revo 3.3 on board ez start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcaddict234

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
To anyone who has an on board ez start system in their Traxxas Revo 3.3. Where did you put the battery and control unit on your Traxxas Revo 3.3?

To anyone who has an on board ez start system in their Traxxas Revo 3.3. Where did you put the battery and control unit on your Traxxas Revo 3.3?
Whats up bud what do you mean. The starter should mount to the engine. And the battery should have a spot as well. Or are you running a aftermarket engine

Wolunstart makes an onboard starter, you could adapt their control board to drive an EZ start easily; it uses an onboard 3s (EZ-start might prefer a 2S). They sell the board by itself.

A turnigy 950 or 1000mah just about fits your standard radio tray along with the receiver and wolunstart bits.

It even has a 5V tap for the rest of your electronics.

It works great in my experience, I was also using their gearbox which is basically a flipped EZ-start.

Last edited:
Whats up bud what do you mean. The starter should mount to the engine. And the battery should have a spot as well. Or are you running a aftermarket engine
Also, I want to use a second battery that comes with the stock hand held unit. I just don’t have a place to mount it. Eventually I might run the receiver and starter off of one battery.

That's the earlier version of the wand. You see the strategically placed slots in the corners? That's so you can zip -tie it to a 7.2v stick pack. It was never intended to be part of the truck/car. You could theoretically incorporate it, but that'd be a lot of dead weight.
Oh ok. Thank you. I still want to run my receiver off of a bigger battery. So I still need a place for a battery.

Wolunstart makes an onboard starter, you could adapt their control board to drive an EZ start easily; it uses an onboard 3s (EZ-start might prefer a 2S). They sell the board by itself.

A turnigy 950 or 1000mah just about fits your standard radio tray along with the receiver and wolunstart bits.

It even has a 5V tap for the rest of your electronics.

It works great in my experience, I was also using their gearbox which is basically a flipped EZ-start.

Amazing, fist how much you pimped up that your flying fish models,
Second I never knew these even existed, makes me want to get one, but so far for me pull start is working great.
Would you mind explaining how you went about making this work and what exactly is needed.
I have a few spare EZ starts that I could use.

Amazing, fist how much you pimped up that your flying fish models,
Second I never knew these even existed, makes me want to get one, but so far for me pull start is working great.
Would you mind explaining how you went about making this work and what exactly is needed.
I have a few spare EZ starts that I could use.
I'll start by saying that unfortunately the wheels rub the gearbox when the suspension compresses, it's only really suitable for the models with longer suspension arms.

It's a straightforward build, the board goes in the receiver tray and plugs into an open channel, this also powers the rx and servos. On the RC4 I assigned it to the momentary switch (Sw.C I think, not the toggle) and it worked with no further effort. I drilled an extra hole in the radio tray to get the wires to the starter and glow plug, passing them under the rear driveshaft.

It's tricky finding batteries that'll fit, turnigy's 950mah 3s nano-tech and 1000mah 3s packs both work. I clipped the deans plug and replaced it with the JST connector to save space, and since I'm only cranking it for a few seconds that'll be plenty considering what quadcopters accomplish with that plug...

IMG20220825184142.jpg

IMG20220825184400.jpg

Last edited: