traxxas ez start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keepitsideways

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
would it be possible to make a savage use a traxxas ez start? has it been done before?

On some engines (in theory) it probably would bolt up.

The question is: A. would it be enough to turn over a big block?
B. Would it hit the head?

I guess it'd depend on the engine.

why do you care? HPI has a roto-start. Its stupid to try to renovate everything when you can go to the Hobby store and buy a backplate, motor and starter ESPECIALLY for HPI!

Hey spitfire. Just because you don't agree with his idea does not make it stupid.

He was just asking a simple question out of curiousity.

It would be nice if HPI had such a critter while out playing. That big ol' rotostart aint too kind on your back pocket!

You never know, he might have an extra ez start sitting around, that would keep him from having to spend more money.

honestly i dont think the TRX back plates are the same size as a BB ,
IMO the traxxas wand is about the same size as a roto-start from HPI ,so you have a wand that fires both ez-start and glow plug BUT drains batteries faster doing so ,HPI have ot carry a glow starter ,and as busted stated i do not think it will clear the head of a BB
so:
2 of 1
1/2 dozen another bud ,

About the same size yes, but without the long pokey shaft...glow igniter included!

A little pain and persistance and he might make it work...

your right SS but i always and should be good practice to wand the starting wand out of the roto if your carrying it ,alot safer too
if he wants to try it cool beans ,but IMO i think it would a PITA and might destroy the motor too

Notwithstanding that little nugget of wisdom from Spitfire, my philosophy is, anything is possible. Contrary to what the Budda of R/C claims, not EVERY HPI comes with the roto-start (like mine, for example). Busted pointed out two key things; 1) will the E-Z start have enough torque to spin a BB? I think it does. 2) would it hit the head? Not sure, I guess it would depend on the head itself. The crucial element is the one-way bearing. If you can find a one-way bearing that fits the crank of the HPI mill and fits into the E-Z start, I think you have a winner! Then, all you need to do is make sure the E-Z start will line up to the HPI's backplate and clear the head.

If you try this, please let us know how it ends up! I might consider doing it to my Savvy!

Good luck!

I think the traxxas one way bearing will grab the shaft of the stock mill, but not on a picco type, where it's inside the engine.

I believe you're right, Busted. I'm under the assumption that the mill he's considering doing this to is the HPI stocker, either the .25 or the .28. Racin' raises a good point as well regarding the TRX's backplate fitting.

I have an older HPI .21 laying around and a spare EZ start. I may try fiddling with it, see what happens.

I think the only issue would be space, the bulkhead and shock towers are right next to the back of the engine. Judging this by the ebay item bashmhard posted.

Help me out, bashmhard. The link you posted took me to an Ofna starter set-up. Are you saying that will work on a HPI mill in a Savage? I'm guessing in reference to the Picco style engine that busted referred to? Just making sure I'm following you here.

I believe the starter will fit on the savage 25 mill but I don't think there is any room in truck for it.

There's lots of room for the electric engine in bot the X and XL. An added bonus is the TVP:s that protect the engine, I understand it breaks off now and then on the Traxxas models.

Check it out at krassuR/C.

Will be adding the XL pics this week.

Enjoy.

would it be possible to make a savage use a traxxas ez start? has it been done before?
yes it has ben done before. i just finished putting one on my savage x. there is directions on how to do it here. http://www.krassurc.se/DIY/?p=3

it requires moving the gas tank up but that gets sid of the half tank lean problem so its a win win situation.