Traxxas 3.3 locks up! Roto start?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwarf717

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a 2.5 REVO wit a 3.3 installed in it. Just got it. Took it to a buddy who knows a lot more about nitros than I. He got it started, and it quit. Tried to start it again, but the owb died. I got another bearing, he installed it, and got the engine running again, but the motor locked up!! He thought the engine was toast, but discovered the problem was in the roto start assembly. Any ideas?? He doesn't know too much about the roto, and has never worked on them. Should I just go pull start? The truck is just for bashing.

I have a 2.5 REVO wit a 3.3 installed in it. Just got it. Took it to a buddy who knows a lot more about nitros than I. He got it started, and it quit. Tried to start it again, but the owb died. I got another bearing, he installed it, and got the engine running again, but the motor locked up!! He thought the engine was toast, but discovered the problem was in the roto start assembly. Any ideas?? He doesn't know too much about the roto, and has never worked on them. Should I just go pull start? The truck is just for bashing.

personally i will not use a rotor start... everything i own has pull starts, or bump starts.

What exactly is the problem with it I've never had an issue with the ez satart on my 3.3 they arent that expensive to replace and arent that complicated when you open them up. Did you install the owb right? The lettering should face toward the engine. Anyway open it up and see whats going in with it you will see that it is very simple to work on once you get into it.

I don't know what's going on with it. I have left the truck with him. He does some tech work for a local to him hobby shop, so I am trusting what he is saying. He said he had it running, and while warming it up, it locked, so I highly doubt he installed the bearing wrong. He thought the motor seized, but then discovered that it was something in the roto start locking the motor. He is going to pull the gears apart tonight and look at them. He also said the shaft appears that it may be worn. I have already bought an owb for the truck, now something else is wrong with it!!! I bought the truck Friday, haven't driven it, or even got it to run for any longer than 2 minutes combined! I just want to get the truck running, usable, and fairly reliable.

It will be as long as the engine isnt hurt which from what you have said i highly doubt it. Is this your first nitro?

es, it is my first nitro.

Well hang in there and dont give up on it. Nitros can be a pain at first but once you get the hang of it they are big time fun. I would suggest you get more hands on with your truck because wrenching on them is part of the hobby. Plus its a good way to get to know what you're dealing with. There are a lot of people on this forum with really good info that will help you out alot. Having a nitro is kinda like having a drag car or an old muscle car you have to love it to wanna keep it. Simply because when you have to maintain and fix it from time to time, but if you love to tinker with stuff then this can be right up you're ally. I know I love it

Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be? Am I bettrer off fixing the roto up, or convert to a pull start?

It is cheaper to put a pull start,I have never had any issues with the ez start. is it a roto start where you use a cordless drill or is it the ez start that comes with the truck?

It is a roto start, not an ez start.

OHHH! I thought you had an ez start. Didnt know they made a roto start for the 3.3.

It was probably converted to a Roto-start. Almost every stock Revo 3.3 has an EZ-Start or bump start.

It's not stock. It's a 2.5 with a 3.3, all RPM parts, and piped. Yes, it was converted.

If your roto start is not locking up, try cracking the glow plug loose and then starting it, if it is a new engine(not broke in yet) then it may just have a really tight pinch. cracking the plug loose will relieve some compression. Also, lean the LSN just a tad, to insure it's not loading up and stalling. once it's started, tighten the glow plug back.

............................................................?

Put a new shaft in it, and converted to pull start. It runs. But not well imo. Seems gutless. Going to get new gp tomorrow.

You might also want to pick up some fresh fuel. Another good idea is to set the needles back to the factory settings and retune from there.

The thing rips now! Did some tuning on it. Burnt up a brand new glow plug in about 2 minutes though! Luckily i got 2. This one works fine.