Train set for Christmas time.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metalhead Matt

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I had some engines and a huge pile of rusty track when I was a kid. I can't remember what scale, or even how the sizing works anymore. All I remember was that the size I had was the common size. The engines and cars were about 8-10 inches long, 3-4 inches tall. The rails were maybe a couple inches apart. I remember the hobby shops having round cardboard bins full of the different section of track, but the bigger, more expensive stuff was in display cases. I'd like to have a set for this time of year, and if it's fun enough, maybe take it further. I'm gonna look around and see what I find, but I figured I'd see if anybody is on the up and up and knows of a good stater kit. The smaller size I described above. Don't have a whole lot of room at the moment.:) Thanks as always.

H.O. is the scale. Very detailed cars and accessories.
The big ones you used to have were Lionel, if they had a 3 rail track, and American Flyer if the tracks were scale looking.

H.O. is correct. I found some already, and the price tag has jogged my memory. I think I remember something about "You HAVE to either choose trucks or trains...".:)

Excellent starter set. Accessories, like engines, cars, houses, water towers....ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING you see in life is available in most hobby shops.

Heck, that isn't bad at all. I never thought to look at Tower. Thank you sir. That's about exactly what I had in mind.

Thanks for getting the ball rollin' fellows.:)

I wish I had a HUGE room that I good go super scale in on a bad ass train setup.

A big, finished basement or something. Have the main layout where you have the most room, but have a couple tracks cruisin' to the rest of the rooms and around their perimeters.

Had this is supporters chit chat along time ago if I recall....

This is what I want.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_oDdGmKyA"]YouTube - Miniatur Wunderland *** official corporate video *** largest model railway / railroad in the world[/ame]

Glad to see I'm not the only one. I have quite a few H.O and N scale trains. I've been wanting to set them up for years, but I have only recently settled into a place where I might actually spend the rest of my life. The N scales are what I like more, but that's just because from the day I was born til about age 7 I had a bitchin n-scale layout in the basement that my father built for us boys. Well, he passed away in '81, and I've still got most of the N stuff intact and operational, as well as some newer stuff I've picked up over the years. Unfortunately my a$$hole former step-dad sold the H.O for his greedy ass! I'll never forgive him for doing that. Anyway if you think it'll ever evolve into more than a christmas tree layout you should look into just the bachman track, a decent controller, proto 1000 or 2000 loco, and some good cars seperately. If all you're looking for is strictly a x-mas tree circle, then that set hpi guy linked would be just fine. Looking for some inspiration? there's some really cool layout videos on the tube. *EDIT*Matt sometimes I swear you were my long-lost evil twin with thoughts like that last post. You couldn't be though, we have the same name...lol *EDIT AGAIN* Lmfao @ 2:35!!^^^^

Last edited:
Yeah, I quit.:) There's a corpse in the crick! That's mind boggling. How'd you like to do that for a living? That had to take YEARS! Damn 2revo, sounds like you have quite a setup. I've always thought it would be cool to have a train just kinda runnin' through the whole house. Along the walls, 4 1/2' off the floor or so. Workbench height or so. Maybe we were separated before we were named bro.:)

Last edited:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abSVjcU040U"]YouTube - Cab Forward 1½" Scale[/ame] I want this!!

Yeah, I quit.:) There's a corpse in the crick! That's mind boggling. How'd you like to do that for a living? That had to take YEARS! Damn 2revo, sounds like you have quite a setup. I've always thought it would be cool to have a train just kinda runnin' through the whole house. Along the walls, 4 1/2' off the floor or so. Workbench height or so. Maybe we were separated before we were named bro.:)

I could have a nice setup, if I had some track!

Heck, that isn't bad at all. I never thought to look at Tower. Thank you sir. That's about exactly what I had in mind.

No problem Matt. I had trains when I was younger, and have often thought about getting a small one for things like around the Christmas tree, at least that's a good excuse in my book. That setup in SNG's vid is sick!

Back