Top 5 best SCX24 upgrades, and spare LiPos?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_RC_Dude

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi everyone, I may be getting a second RC sometime, and I'm looking at either a 1/16th scale brushless basher (specifically the HBX 16889A Pro) or a 1/24th scale crawler (SCX24 obviously). What are your guys' top 5 best upgrades for the SCX24, looking at a performance gain to dollar ratio. Also wondering if in your opinions, is a bone stock SCX24 decently capable for indoor crawling and some medium outdoor crawling? What was everyone's favorite upgrade? And also, can anyone link to an Amazon listing for ONE spare battery (that's really all I need, I don't need 2 extra batteries given the runtime for this is pretty good already) for the SCX24 (doesn't have to be for the SCX24, just one that fits with a PH 2.0 plug)? I'm having trouble finding a listing for one battery that'll fit the SCX24 with the right plug other than this listing for 2 packs. BTW I'm new to crawling, I don't have a crawler nor have I driven one before, I've been a curious bystander for a while, watching some crawler reviews and stuff, and I'm interested in dipping my toes into crawling. I don't want a 1/10th scale, as that's a lot more expensive, and I'm not sure if I have tons of terrain around here to let it loose. Also with 1/10h scale it's a lot bigger invesment and more is on the line, so to speak. Anyway, thanks in advance guys!

-Isaac/TRD for short

Brass diff covers, wheel weights, and an upgraded servo.

Which scx24 are you getting? The Deadbolt and Jeep are probably the best when it comes to upgrades, the C10 is small on the inside because of the bed. I don’t own one, but probably will in like two weeks, so take my reply with a grain of salt.

Anything that get a little weight down low helps As stated above, wheel weights, brass diff covers, brass steering knuckles, brass or steel rims. Also soft tires are a plus. Remember, none of this is critical, the SCX24's are pretty good performers right out of the box. Personally I like to pace myself rather than get a bunch of upgrades all at once. It keeps your interest in the vehicle going. I havent messed with my electronics yet but the stock battery works well and charges fairly quickly.

Brass diff covers, wheel weights, and an upgraded servo.

Which scx24 are you getting? The Deadbolt and Jeep are probably the best when it comes to upgrades, the C10 is small on the inside because of the bed. I don’t own one, but probably will in like two weeks, so take my reply with a grain of salt.
Yup, sounds good. By wheel weights do you mean weighted wheels, or heavier wheel hexes and that stuff (you know, all those smaller little parts that help drive/hold on the wheel, because I'm too lazy to type all them lol!)? I never really thought that diff covers would make a significant difference (no pun intended there...DIFFerence? 🤣🤣). Upgraded servo sounds good, espeacially with those heavier brass parts and wheels (might also need to upgrade the motor eventually, but that's later).

Good point, I never thought about how the body shell would affect the internal space. I'm getting either the Deadbolt or the Jeep Wrangler, I prefer the Wrangle because of its looks and longer chassis (or was it slightly bigger wheels...), but the Deadbolt ain't bad either, which one I get depends on which one is avalabile at the moment, and which one will ship faster. I would like the yellow Wrangler, but for some reason on Amazon it's like $158, the Deadbolt and white Wrangler are normal price.

Might get the HBX 16889A Pro instead, really time will tell if I do get one of them or any at all!

Edit: One of my relatives got me the SG 1602 (it's a brushless truggy, just the truggy version of the brushless HBX 16889, just rebranded), probably gonna arrive at my door in mid-January?

Last edited:
Jeep will require a bit more weight than the c10 will to get your cg right.
20210731_172125.jpg

Mine is fairly close to factory- stock motor, esc, servo, axles, shocks (no springs in front). I'm running the injora wheels and knockoff hyraxes. I'm also running brass knuckles, diffs, extended hexes, and I've lowered the body. It'll pull most lines in my backyard with some effort.
Then there's Taco Truk-
20210328_212551.jpg

^^Little surpass outrunner got torque! How it got its name ^^
Under the hood-
20210720_221538.jpg

20210423_190157.jpg

The only factory bits left on it are the shocks, axles, body mounts, and servo mount. It rocks dished Rc4wd steel wagons, slingers, brass knuckles, hexes, diff cover (front only), hr skid, surpass outrunner, furitek (❤) esc, emax servo, gspeed (❤) rails, custom 🤣 bent links, hacked up & glued together body, and a bunch of just plain redneckery.
It makes impossible lines look easy. It's the only 24 to clean my backyard rockpile. I kinda got lucky with Taco. ❤❤❤

I've neglected my rc's for the last 4 months 🥺. I have a couple new rock features, and a couple builds to finish once I finish butchering the elk/deer/ram in my garage...

Attachments

• 20210720_221538.jpg
    20210720_221538.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 127
Jeep will require a bit more weight than the c10 will to get your cg right.
View attachment 139064
Mine is fairly close to factory- stock motor, esc, servo, axles, shocks (no springs in front). I'm running the injora wheels and knockoff hyraxes. I'm also running brass knuckles, diffs, extended hexes, and I've lowered the body. It'll pull most lines in my backyard with some effort.
Then there's Taco Truk-
View attachment 139067
^^Little surpass outrunner got torque! How it got its name ^^
Under the h
View attachment 139066
The only factory bits left on it are the shocks, axles, body mounts, and servo mount. It rocks dished Rc4wd steel wagons, slingers, brass knuckles, hexes, diff cover (front only), hr skid, surpass outrunner, furitek (❤) esc, emax servo, gspeed (❤) rails, custom 🤣 bent links, hacked up & glued together body, and a bunch of just plain redneckery.
It makes impossible lines look easy. It's the only 24 to clean my backyard rockpile. I kinda got lucky with Taco. ❤❤❤

I've neglected my rc's for the last 4 months 🥺. I have a couple new rock features, and a couple builds to finish once I finish butchering the elk/deer/ram in my garage...
Got it, thanks, I remember seeing your post on your SCX24s a few months ago, nice rigs!

Why buy those fancy, expensive "high clearance" links when you can just stick the stock links in a bench vise, grab your pliers, and bend them?! lol just kidding, wouldn't the link be a little shorter after they're bent? Also, what's up with the bent "Taco Truk"? Oh, wait, you're telling me the motor just destroyed the chassis?! Holy moly that's got some torque...those Surpass Hobby motors are pretty good budget motors, I should know, I have a 2440 4600kV Surpass motor in my Wltoys 144001 that I converted to brushless (also has a healthy dose of other upgrades as well as a few handmade, custom parts, seem my build thread)!

Last edited:
Hi Most of my ideas for the SCX24 deadbolt have come from the great people here. Out of the box these crawlers are too tippy for most people

Bang for buck the best for for me was to add some 3mm plumbers solder inside the wheels and and a thin strip of lead under the axles. Zero cost and probably nearly as good as brass wheel weights and diff covers.

I also puncuted the tyres - some people say this makes them more squashy - not sure if this helps but it does not do any harm

Next best brass hex's to add more weight and widen wheel base.

I have made 2 other mods
1. The emax servo - just because people say it is tougther and it was fun to do.
2. Changed the output plug on the battery. So it can plug into my lipo charger and becaue the original plug looks fragile and i did not like the idea of constanly unplugging it from the ESC to charge. You can see in the pictures that I also added some covers to the balancing wires on the battery as again some people report that the plugs are fragile and the wires can break.

I am very happy with the results and can't wait to get another scx24.

Attachments

• IMG_20211218_134731019.jpg
    IMG_20211218_134731019.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20211218_134017012.jpg
    IMG_20211218_134017012.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20211218_133923459.jpg
    IMG_20211218_133923459.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20211218_133623746.jpg
    IMG_20211218_133623746.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 124
  • jst.jpg
    jst.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 134
Great thread,,just got my first crawlers last week and love my little deadbolt, doing lots of coffee table crawling and shopping for upgrades. Also got a TRX4 Sport! I'm in !🙂

Back