Tools 101?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSY0829

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello,
I'm new to the nitro scene and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what tools I should get for my Tmaxx? What tools and sizes do I need and shouldn't be without?

TIA

Well, congrats on the new purchase! I love my Maxx. Well since the Maxx was my first RC nitro I was in your shoes at one point. The first things I would get is a good T handle Plug wrench. That will act not only as your plug wrench, but as a lug wrench for your wheels as well. I would also get a good set of hex wrenches. I know most of the Maxx is phillips head, but you will want to change those out quickly with a set of hex head screws. Other than that you don't need to much to work on the Maxx. I would look to get a temp gun, a good exacto knife, and some CA glue. You may also look at getting a Dremel tool down the road as well. That should get you started. I hope this helps.

Tom

Ditto

A temp gun and hex screws along with hex drivers to fit them. Those phillips on the max is a huge PITA at times to deal with and they strip out easy. I'm not sure how well these tools work but they're the best deal I've found so far. I'll order me a full set once I get off my lazt butt to do it lol Anyways, just click on the tool link and then the hand tools...they got sets for both metric and standard hex drivers also.

http://h1071118.hobbyshopnow.com/products/description.asp?prod=DYN2812

Then you want a decent temp gun to help you tune any nitro vehicle with. I've found this to be one of the best things I've bought for my Revo. They should run around 240-270 I believe but I'm still new also. I do know anything around the 100-200 range is rich...I learned that on my friends Tmaxx ;) Anyways, ways they run around 20.00 - 40.00 bux for a decent one I think.

Have fun
Ray

for budget tools that are great value...
INtegy hex driver set ($30)
Dynamite nut driver set ($17)
OFNA multi-tool ($8)
Raytek Temp Gun ($65)
Craftsman ergo screwdriver 6/32" ( Great tuning screwdriver....I'll verify the size if you want $2)
Large Robo grips and teh rubber jaw covers ($12)
Long large Flatheaded screwdriver, good prybar for some stuff ($5)
Klein (10way screwdriver works well for me $10)
Small and med sized needle nose, craftsman ($10)
Diag cutters, Craftsman ($12)
trinity body scissors ($7)
Dynamite Body Reamer ($10)
silver & Black sharpie markers (good to mark a position on servo horns and linkages)
X-acto knife and spare blades..I like the rubber handle ones.....
Soldering iron or station (yes this is nitro but it's nice when you mess up a servo wire or want to shorten batt pack wires...or even make your own pack from a few w/ single dead cells)
dental picks (I pick em up at fleamarket for 2 bucks for 5) good for cleaning packed crud out of screw heads......
adj crescent wrench is handy sometimes......
good dremel kit (50-70)
that's what I carry in the pit box and will pretty much take care of any field repairs needed......minus the spare parts used of course

Thanks for the replies and the link. I've been busy buying a few things here and a few things there. I recently purchased a temp gun so I'm set there. Do they make a replacement hex head screw set for a Tmaxx or should I check the classifieds?

Can anyone provide a link for hex screws for the Tmaxx? I checked Tower Hobbies but there are many kinds.

Last edited:
Try out www.hexcrews.com for a complete set or go to www.mcmaster.com and order up the sizes you need. They come in bags of 50 or 100, it costs more initially but you will have a lifetime supply of screws.