Took the plunge-Build thread (sort of)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupooterluvr

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well, I took the plunge and ordered a 5b SS last week on Tuesday. Got here this past Tuesday and I got it built on the following Wednesday. I kinda forgot to take a lot of pics but I did get a couple. Tonight I'm going to the LHS to get a cover for the pull start and some new tires. That 26cc engine has already worn down the treads and I haven't even finished the tank off yet.

fghjs_by_Cupooterluvr.jpg

fghjshdfh_by_Cupooterluvr.jpg

fghjhdfh_by_Cupooterluvr.jpg

fghjhdfhf_by_Cupooterluvr.jpg

fghjhdfhfsdfasdf_by_Cupooterluvr.jpg

As of right now I have the number 4 spacers in the hubs and they seem to cause a little too much toe-in. Do you guys think I should put in the number 3 or 2 spacers?

Also, sorry for the messy room lol

This thing is a beast. I can't wait to get some paddle tires and take it to the beach. It's going to be awesome.

I was thinking of buying one of those failsafes that cuts the engine in case of a signal/power loss. Do they work? It's definitely worth the $40.

Those things are insane! No way could I do a build on the floor--bad back, knees, etc. OUCH that would hurt! Not to mention I am too damn fat...

Oh, to be young and flexable.

Those things are insane! No way could I do a build on the floor--bad back, knees, etc. OUCH that would hurt! Not to mention I am too damn fat...

Oh, to be young and flexable.

Yeah, it was a bit of a pain for even me. After the two-hour session of putting the beadlocks together my knees and back were killing me.

If your not going to be running a spread spectrum radio, I have an extra venom smarttemp failsafe. It displays engine temp and battery level and is fully programable.

If your not going to be running a spread spectrum radio, I have an extra venom smarttemp failsafe. It displays engine temp and battery level and is fully programable.

I am running a 2.4 system, although I'm going to buy the engine kill switch thing for that extra bit of insurance. $40 to save a $1000 car... Worth it.

those baja's are a blast. parts are just to dang expensive

Finished product:

Baja_5b_by_Cupooterluvr.jpg

The body is gunmetal gray and orange. It looks awesome in real life. This time I made sure to go slow and used about 10 coats, 5 per color.

EDIT: That's an RCNT decal on the wing :thumbup:

Last edited:
Nice man! I see you got the Baja. Take some videos!

that is one sweet Baja 5b SS.
did you run it? how does it handle?

Yeah, it runs great! Wheel spinning torque and nice top speed. It's a little squirrely in the grass with the 2WD but you learn throttle control quick with these.

just can't wait to be 16...
get some easy job on weekends and save up some coins for Baja...

Heh I know what you mean. I saved up for 4 months plus Xmas money to buy mine. Hopefully I'll get accepted at Publix/Albertsons this year and get regular income.

Back