Too Much Fuel at Startup and Won't Start.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin4250

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Is there anything that causes too much fuel at startup? I haven't run my truck in years and bought new 20% fuel, a new glow plug and an igniter and set the carb needles to factory settings (I think). Anyway, I had no luck getting it started after two very long attempts. It almost started but just didn't happen. I tried putting my finger over the exhaust for a second and thought it was helping until it flooded. I pulled the plug out and drained any extra fuel and tried again today but no luck.
So I guess my questions are...
is there anything that would cause excess fuel at startup (other than putting my finger over the exhaust?).
When I went through my engine to clean it after 5 years in a box, I pulled out the piston and sleeve and got it stuck in a weird position that ended up scratching it enough that the piston wouldn't go up and down in the sleeve. I polished up a few areas and eventually got it going smoothly up and down but probably not as well as from the factory. Am I wasting my time trying to get my truck started if there is slight defects in the piston/sleeve?
Finally, the threads are stripped in the carb where the brass fitting goes in between the carb and the high speed needle. I used Teflon tape to help with fit and its fairly tight but its not perfect. In your opinion, what is the most likely cause of my problem? I can put a new piston/sleeve in for $45 and get a new carb but I wasn't looking to dump money into my truck right now. Suggestions would be Greatly appreciated!

I found a new carb (body only) for $13 on amazon so I just ordered one to eliminate that issue. I set the low speed needle to be flush like the manual says. I don't see any stats on how many turns in/out... Just says 'flush'

Ha the only way I can get mine to run is to flood it at start up?

After sitting that long, I would recommend striping the whole carb down and clean it really good with lacquer thinner. I have done this a ton of times on my own rigs and friends rigs and it seems to work every time. Just don't saturate the boot in the thinner cause it will make it brittle. you just need to clean the needles really good and get out all the gummed up stuff in there from sitting so long.