Tomorrow is the day! What tools and supplies should I buy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaron030886

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So tomorrow is the day that I get paid! What tools and supplies should I buy for the break in and for the first few runs? I'm not going to be racing it. Just driving it around in grass and off road and stuff like that for a while. Here are the supplies that came with the truck. And if you could. Please post a picture of the stuff that I would need to get or post a link! :) Visuals are always the best!!
IMG_1391.jpg

You'll find you buy things as you need them. Looks like they gave you basic supplies and that should have it covered for the short term. Make sure you have some sort of tool that fits every connector on the rig. Screwdrivers. Nut drivers. Hex wrenches. Good needle-nosed pliers. All sorts of stuff like that. You may want to invest in an infrared thermometer at some point to monitor running temperatures. The biggest thing at first is to make sure you have enough tools to be able to tune and repair the rig. Otherwise, take your time with breakin and then just have fun.

Hi, well you look like you've gort pretty much all you need for start. But i would first invest in temp gun, a pair or two of needlenose pliers, go to auto zone and look for there pen like set of drivers, comes with three diff sets for allens phillips and flat and 7 star. Besides that a good clean place to work on your nitro. Well that should really get you going on your way with nitro! If any help... :)

If you don't have an IR temp gun, get one before you ever start your truck for the first time. harbor freight and your LHS will have them starting at around $15-$20. It's the best investment you'll ever have. It will allow you to tune your truck like a pro, break it in properly, keep from tearing up the engine the first day out, etc...

Next, get a good set of hex wrenches. The best that I've found without ordering some are the ones that Kobalt makes, and they're available at Lowe's. I've tried several sets of the good brands, and the Kobalt is the only set I have that really held up, and even the tiny wrenches are showing no where. Also, don't use cheap screwdrivers on your rig. It will only round out the screws and then you'll have a real nightmare on your hands. The best ones at Wal-Mart are the Stanley FatMax with hardened tips. I haven't found any locally that were better, but those are just the best localy, they're not great by any means. Eventually you'll want to order a nice set of RC allen wrenches and screwdrivers. Axial makes an affordable set, and although I hate the company, Integy has some nice wrneches for the price. As long as you don't need customer service or have a problem with them, the integy set should do fine.

Thanks a lot guys! Helps out a lot!

It's funny that they say in my manual to measure the temp when your breaking in your truck, but do not supply you with a thermometer of any sort.:\

Last edited:
If you have the dough to spend....pick up an air compressor. IMO it's one of those tools that you never knew how much you needed until you get one. In addition to being a very handy tool to have around the house, it makes cleaning your rigs a breeze and you can also use it to power wash. You can also use it to get into airbrushing bodies. Buy the unit with the biggest tank size that you have space and budget for.

If you have the dough to spend....pick up an air compressor. IMO it's one of those tools that you never knew how much you needed until you get one. In addition to being a very handy tool to have around the house, it makes cleaning your rigs a breeze and you can also use it to power wash. You can also use it to get into airbrushing bodies. Buy the unit with the biggest tank size that you have space and budget for.

On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the hardest.. How hard is air brushing?

Make fun of you? I think you've got one hell of a tool set there. I've been wanting to buy an identical set, but I keep spending money on crawler parts to get these rigs finished. I'm getting ready to get a really nice EDS set though.

i didnt mean of me, i meant because they were duratrax, everyones always putting duratrax down, i happen to think they make great stuff, i wouldnt buy any of thier cars or trucks, but they are really durable
i wish the eds stuff got popular sooner, i would of bought that set, super trick and you can have you can ahve them engraved, cool stuff

Back