To duct tape or not

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conquesttsi87

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Got a set of NOS bowtie 1097's and some RPM titan 3.2 rims. Going to attempt my first tire gluing, doesn't look too hard, been watching a lot of videos and reading the forum here. Question is, do I duct tape the insides to prevent ballooning or doesn't it pay on my 2.5 maxx? Will that just add extra weight or is that good thing for traction? Looking for your thoughts, experiences,opinions, etc. Thanks!

I used to put a one layer wrap on the foams. Partly to limit the rotational mass when the tire is at speed, but mostly to help avoid keeping the foams from separating. Unglueing a tire is a pain, especially when it's just for the foam.

If weight is a concern, try the clear gorilla tape with the strands in it. Might be a bit less weight.

As for taping the tire, I understand the purpose, but I don't understand how it works for the log haul. Eventually, the tire has to let go from the tape, right? It's not magic tape... and the only thing keeping the tire on the tape is the glue and it's constantly being pulled at. Which is also why I just taped my foams. Then the tape was at least taped to itself from the inside.

Thanks for the reply @olds97_lss! Forgive my ignorance, but is foam seperation an issue if you don't get them wet?

Yes. I've had them separate on pretty much every set of preglued tires I've gotten. Just recently I had to deglue a set of duratrax 2.8" hatchet tires from the rims so I could fix the foams. However, the foams nearly disintegrated, so I made new ones out of some old 3.2" foams I had. However, the ones I put back in, I just superglued the ends together and hope it holds up. I only deglued one side of the tire and getting tape in there would have been a pain.

I used Velcro instead of duct tape. Much lighter than duct tape and it does the job quite well. Also use it on the outer tire to keep controlled pressure on the wheels and tires after glueing.

Does the glue on the tape or Velcro hold up against the expansion of the tire??? I never did it cuz I always figured it was just a matter of time before I had to take it apart cuz half stayed and half didn't do they have HUGE lumps at speed! :hehe:

Does the glue on the tape or Velcro hold up against the expansion of the tire??? I never did it cuz I always figured it was just a matter of time before I had to take it apart cuz half stayed and half didn't do they have HUGE lumps at speed! :hehe:
If you use the Velcro that comes in a roll(the ones used for wiring and cabling management)and wrap it in a loop over the foam(1 on the left & 1 in the right side or buy one that is wide enough to cover the foam since they come in different widths). It minimizes the foam from becoming a "cookie cutter".

I get it. So as long as the cable tie style is used, it could last. I guess just where my experience with long term duct tape is concerned, I don't think I would use it in this application. Thanks for the clarification.

I actually realized that my initial response about using velcronwas not clear since the majority of Velcro were exposed to is the non hook and loop style.

I thought the same thing, which is why I would just tape the foams with the glue facing in and I'd overlap the tape, so it was tape on tape. Seemed to help quite a bit with ballooning.

I get it now. I hadn't thought to use a cable tie type where both the hook and loop are on the same piece. As long as there is enough length to let it really get a hold, I would have to guess it would hold up. I just kept picturing the glue unwrapping where it didn't have a while lot to stick to in my mind. It went downhill quickly in my head from there.:hehe:

Once I get the Arrma Nero Wheels and Tires I'll unglue it and do the whole process. I will take pics of the whole process to document it and post it on my TMaxx build discussion. I think it may be helpful to quite a few folks to see the process. I'll take a video of the before and after with the truck running so we can compare how much of a difference the mod makes from making the tires balloon.

Awesome Dxtreme1, I'm looking forward to seeing that!
Thanks

I was at the local Menards yesterday picking up some electrical fixtures for the new house and spied these. I think this is what you are talking about for wrapping the foam!
a21f4e8d-ecb3-46e7-a6e7-fa788fb1cd00_1_4e103de9989e272a1f96228689f1896e.jpg

The largest they had were 12" but I think they came in a pack of 20. Dxtreme1 do you use larger ones or put multiples together and phase them for balance?

Thanks

You can use that and if it's too short you can attach another one to it but the one I use is just the ones that are uncut and comes in a roll and is non adhesive. You just cut the desired length. They also come in different widths. I've seen 1 inch widths but it may come in wider sizes. The Velcro is used to prevent the foam from expanding and minimizing the ballooning effect but people that uses duct tape applies it on the tires directly with some super glue(the inside of the tires are lightly sanded and cleaned with denatured alcohol)If you do both then you will notice that the tires will not balloon at all. However in due time the tape may eventually separate from the tire and it may start ballooning again. I've used the tape and Velcro together before but it makes the tires too stiff and bouncy over bumps and jumps and it affected cornering. So I don't use the duct tape method but I did have an idea once of using liquid plasti dip (brush on not spray)and Fiberglass strands.

Attachments

• IMG_0636.JPG
    IMG_0636.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 208
Just doing some searching on amazon, looks like you can get it in 1", 1 1/2", and 2" wide. Do you want to cover the entire width of the foam, one strip down the middle, two strips at the one third of the width mark, or ??? What has worked for you the best? They have 1 1/2" x 45' for about $25, that's a lot of tires!

Back