Tmaxx tranny

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flandersander

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I am looking for a 3 speed tranny for my tmaxx. I would preffer all steel gears inside if anybody knows of one or has one that would be great.

Well that sucks. I thought there was. I could be wrong, does anybody know for sure?

someone offers one but it says not recommended for off road use.I think it has exposed internals or something.3 sp sounds cool but only if its reliable.

There is a conversion but the gearing is so high you have to use 1/8 scale buggy wheels on it. If you want a 3 speed get a Savage or a CEN Genesis.

With the power range of the TRX engines and the gearing in the 2 speed tranny, the 2 speed will get the job done fine.

Well it does but I want it to wheelie and yet it revs out way too soon. I run on like 6 acres so 2 speed seems to not be enough.

Is it at all possible to put a savage 3 speed transmission on a t-maxx?

You might be able to but it would require extensive mods. By the time you make it fit you probably would have been able to just buy a Savage.

I'm sure you're right, it just seems like it would be cool.

Well yeah 3 speed savage on a maxx. Well a guy can dream though... a man can dream...

Its a conversion kit?

Yea thats the one I saw too.Buy it and tell us hjow it works=devil

um... well I would but I really don't have 100 bucks to spend. At all. well not on rc anyway. Aren't they discontinued?

Well yeah 3 speed savage on a maxx. Well a guy can dream though... a man can dream...
Yes we can dream.....:hypno:
But the kit I saw, I think it was rad rc, had the third gear taking the place of the slipper clutch(as near as I can tell). Which is why it wasn't recommended for off road use, as well as you seem to need 1/8 tires.

That makes sense. So there is no longer a sliper clutch? it is direct with no protection? And yeah geared so high would suck. I'm wondering if you could use a 12 tooth bell to make up for it...

Yes we can dream.....:hypno:
But the kit I saw, I think it was rad rc, had the third gear taking the place of the slipper clutch(as near as I can tell). Which is why it wasn't recommended for off road use, as well as you seem to need 1/8 tires.

Yup, I have a copy of Car Action where they reviewed it in a Maxx some time ago somewhere around here. If I can find it, I'll post a scan of it. They basically said that it's mostly for bling (HEY ROLEX!!!) and not really for offroad use, which is the reason for the buggy tires.

edit; couldn't find the magazine (I know I have it) but here's the text from the article:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3825/is_200202/ai_n9029819

Edit2; Found the issue, Feb 2002:
RadRC1.jpg

RadRC2.jpg

If you can't read the text, refer to the above link; it's the same almost word for word.

Last edited:
In my humble opinion Bling is basically worthless..........:spit:

Back