Tmaxx tranny single to two speed

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freakystyley

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hi - I recently acquired a tmaxx 2.5 (4910) from my brother, runs great, BUT, I have noticed the more I learn about it, the more it is lacking.
First, he took out the front end drive gear, all of it. so its now RWD only. no biggie, I ordered the shafts/diff/etc to get it back to stock.

Second, there is only one speed. no shifting. it is either adjusted incorrectly or converted - he thinks he made it single speed a while back. +++this is where I need help - what would I need to make it two speed again?

Third, no reverse. servo missing too. So, I ordered a new complete reverse kit.

My goal is to return the tmaxx to stock, add some big bores and bash away. we have a backyard track designed more for 2wd 1/10 buggies, so I am needing Rev to get out of trouble. also, on the long straight, I want the second gear to kick in!

I'm not 100% sure of what internal transmission parts may be missing. But the link below has links to parts schematics. Also I've heard from several different sources that the reverse kit is not a great idea, it causes too many weak points in the transmission. Besides, once you get 4WD in place, you seldom will need a reverse as the Tmaxx will go over much of what it encounters.

http://www.traxxas.com/support/models/nitro/4910tmaxxclassic

Reverse just adds useless, rotational mass to the tranny. Robs some acceleration as well. Much better off with out it.

thanks - alright, so I will leave rev out - and I got he schematics and will open up the case to see what is missing. thanks! I have seen some 2 speed shafts on ebay, and a 2 speed kit that looked like everything needed to convert a single to dual speed. I dont have a shop close by so am trying to order everything at once to not have multi shippping charges

Cool bro. Keep us updated so we can assist ya if needed.:) Throw some pics up.

So, is there ANY way to tell whats missing and what I need to get to have 2nd gear again? Looking at the parts blowup, I am too new to know what is for REV and what I want for 1st,2nd ? by the looks of the diagram, I am missing a TON!

EDIT- -forget it!! I count 22 parts totaling over $110. just going to buy one off auction. thx anyway

Attachments

• tranny.JPG
    tranny.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 98
Last edited: