tmaxx tranny question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmaxx4dawin

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
can i install the 3.3 tranny on the older 2.5 chassis and use the older style brake set up without having to cut out my chassis for clearance

as far as i know the only true difference between the two trannys is the outputshaft,the 2.5 has a 5mm and the 3.3"4907"has a 6mm

ok thanks ill have to pic up another 3.3 tranny and just try it on my basher max because i hate the 2.5 tranny they suck

What kind of powerplant are u running?...u may just need to upgrade ur tranny gears

a 4907 tranny will not drop in an older maxx without mods
the output shaft is longer on the front and its 6mm verusus 5mm on the 4910
you could get a 4907 trans and get a foc to suit the 4909

Install the FOC kit in the 2.5 trans. It makes it a much better tranny. Less moving parts and better performance.

it has foc mod i just hate the spur gear sutup and the chucking that you get out of that tranny i have had 3 trucks with 2.5 trans and 2 with foc mod and 1 regular and all of them chuck at idle even my buddies truck does it and my 3.3 has no issues sits in one spot perfect acceleration and durable i love the 3.3 trans

If the transmission has a FOC the only way it can "chuck" or buck as most call it is the idle speed it too high. When the FOC is installed there are no longer any internal clutches on the output shaft and the bucking is eliminated just like the 3.3 grey tranny.

Also, the 2.5 brake calipers will not fit the 3.3 transmission as the mounting holes are wider on the 3.3 tranny than the 2.5 tranny.

ok thanx all very good info

As some of the other guys said forward only conversion will reduce the breakage on the 4910 Transmission. The truck will also move a little faster once you remove the mass of the reverse gears. It only costs about $12.00 bucks for the conversion kit and fairly easy to install. I ran my 4910 Tmaxx for the first time today with the forward only conversion and was happy with the performance. I also picked up some lap time speeds and noticed a difference.

You can upgrade the slipper fluffy assembly with the torque control kit for the 2.5 it costs about 25 bucks and it uses the 3.3 style slipper assembly

---------- Post added at 8:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:47 AM ----------

Haha fluffy meant clutch

lol fluffy hahaha yeah i just gfound that on ebay i think ill pick it up and see how i like it thanx guys