Tmaxx Running Issues? Time to Rebuild?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stackster

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys, I'm new here. Well actually been here for a while but mostly just reading but now I got some problems and questions and I was wondering what you think.
I bought a Tmaxx 2.5 about 3 years ago and i've been through 3-4 gallons of gas. I've always had a little bit of trouble running it as it would usually stall out as soon as I let go of the gas but it didn't bother me too much cause I could keep it going. I ruined the old plastic muffler and replaced with a traxxas resonator. Now I have a very hard time starting the engine cold (takes a long time) but when it starts it runs normally and dies when I let off the throttle. Then it will not start unless it sits for 5 minutes.

Is it time for a rebuild on the engine or do I have some tuning issues?

I think that if u would adjust your idle screw so that the engine doesn't cut off when u let go of the throttle. I believe that you would still be good for awile longer. Any other opinions here please??

From what I can get from your post, I agree with BOUTCH. Pull the air filter and check the throttle valve, you should have a small gap(1mm +/-) at idle. Make sure when you let off the throttle the gap is there and doesn't close when you apply thre brakes.

When first starting the engine cold, use the throttle trim on your transmitter to open the carb a bit more then back off the trim when the engine gets to temp.

i would start thinking about an upgrade, save your pennies and get the 3.3. When its hard to start like that and wont start after it's hot then your compression has to be bad. But i would get a sleeve pincher and make the engine last the rest of the summer. Then upgrade to the 3.3 over the winter. IMO

Back