TMaxx resurrection.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snook Man

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I thought now would be a good time to resurrect and old friend of mine.

I built this chassis setup a few years ago with the intention on installing the HPI gas engine that has not been released yet (if ever).
I ran it initially to test it out with a XTM 457 for about ½ gallon and then disassembled it, polished the parts and boxed it up while waiting for the engine to be released.
Well I have gotten tired of waiting and decided to put it back together and run it with a Fresh Rossi .28 and 1 of Robin’s pipes I snatched from my twin engine build.

I changed a few things up during assembly and thought I would do a write up and list all the things I have made/done to it up to this point.

All aluminum is either T6 7075 or T6 6061.

Main chassis:

5 pieces, main center plate with 4 plates attached at each corner for servo and fuel tank mounting. Chassis extended front and rear with a 15.5 inch wheel base.
6061 New Era 4 point chassis braces.
GA 7075 bulkheads.
Custom bulkhead braces.
Custom shock towers and rear wing mount.
Custom skid plates and wear cover plates.
Custom rear skid lower braces.

Suspension:

UE wide track arms.
Custom length hinge pins with capture system integrated into main chassis, skids and bulkheads.
Ofna LX One rear shocks all around with Revo VD pistons, custom springs and internal/external limiters.
Tekno axle carriers.

Steering bell crank is modified from an Ofna LX One.

Drive train:

Custom 3 shoe engine clutch. (Top secret stuff)
Torque control slipper clutch with custom 7075 slipper disk.
Custom single speed transmission with a 2:1 output ratio (internal ratio can be changed to suite my needs depending on track, also have the option for an internal 1/8th scale center differential and rear brake setup).
Modified UE drive cups, 6mm tranny/8mm diffs.
HPI Dog bone center shafts.
Modified HPI savage differential housings sandwiched between the bulkheads with savage flux BP diffs.
UE drive cups with shaft for flux diff outputs.
UE dog bones for wheel shafts.
UE 8mm drive cups mounted on custom 8mm stub axles.
Ofna 17mm wheel hexes.

Its geared 18cb/38sg and should top out @ about 40mph, but it should get there quick with a good bottom end to pull out of the corners and to clear the bigger jumps.

Weight: 11lbs 3oz without lid or fuel.

I need a couple bearings for the front diff before I can finish the front diff and wheel shafts, some new toe links and a lid before I can put it to the test.
Going to order some PL Bad Lands for the loose stuff at the track also, the Hole Shots on it just don’t have much grip on the loose/dusty clay.

I’m sure I’m forgetting some stuff but here are some pics as it sits.
Anyone have any ideas on a Body for a 15 ½ inch wheel base?

DSC00597_zps736d6137.gif

DSC00596_zpsa8ba9271.gif

DSC00599_zps64b62678.gif

DSC00601_zps3fe142a2.gif

DSC00605_zpsf782e3bd.gif

DSC00610_zps9441e7d6.gif

DSC00618_zpsbd935f5f.gif

Wow! Very nice indeed Snookman. I love it!!

Wow that is beautiful! Not usuallt a fan of aluminum but that looks great

Galaxy S3

thats a sweet truck obvious you have put some timr into that thing I honestly wouldn even wanna run it myself

I like how you were able to get the engine so close to the center line. Bad lands would look real nice, but wont like the speed your gonna get. Although the weight may give it a more "planted" feel. Definately a SWEET truck! And is that a Revo wing?

Last edited:
I like how you were able to get the engine so close to the center line. Bad lands would look real nice, but wont like the speed your gonna get. Although the weight may give it a more "planted" feel. Definately a SWEET truck! And is that a Revo wing?

Yes, it’s a Revo wing mount with a PL wing. I designed the towers and bulkhead brace to use the Revo mount specifically.
Top of the wing mount has built in hooks that clamp over the top of the tower and screws go through the hooks and tower. The bottom is screwed directly to the top bulkhead brace and the rear area where the Revo bumper would normally mount I just added a twisty brace back down to the top of the bulkhead brace for extra support.
The twisted rear support is the only aluminum that’s not T6 7075/6061. I tried bending/twisting each even with heat and it always resulted in breaking the 7075 or a lot of stress fractures in the 6061.
Here’s a better pic of the wing mount and hinge pin capture system.

WingStay.gif

The HoleShots dont like the speed either even when taped, at least the Badlands won't clog the tread up with clay as bad as the HoleShots do.
I brought home about a LB of clay whith me the last time I ran the HoleShots on the track in another rig.
:whhooo:
DSC05904.gif

Nice rig snook

Could you give me a breakdown of the parts used for the CVD's? The widetrack arms are a few mm longer than the 3.3 spec arms and I'm having trouble finding CVD's for it

Keleb,
I'm running savage flux diffs in this rig (requires a custom chassis/skids/towers) and I swapped the outdrives with UE cups with shafts. I'm using the UE lighting/thunder with mono DogBones for wheel shafts with UE 8mm cups and custom stub axles.

The Wide track arms should be the same length as 3.3 spec. I have seen a few sets that were used and someone trimmed the pivot ball ends and polished them that were a few mm's shorter but you can usually screw the pivot balls in a little farther by adjusting the grub screw in the arm and still have full steering without the carrier hitting the arm.
Were your arms new? What diffs are you using? You could also use extended drive cups depending on the diff.

Ohh ok. The arms are brand new. I know there a little longer too because I asked robin.
I would shave some off the end but I don't have the proper tools

Here's a pic of the widetracs arms with the Traxxas CVD's part number 5154r, pillow balls are screwed in all the way

8989C27E-D469-404B-B902-0B889B87D3FB-1710-0000020E94B08AEB.jpg

Keleb,
With the 6 or 8 spider diffs your running I think RC monster has output shafts to fit that you can swap in and use extended drive cups.

I understand the issue with the trx cvd’s, Traxxas dropped the ball on their cvd length IMO, even with a stock TMaxx their cvds are a little short for comfort.

If you want to use the diff setup as is with the UE diff outputs and Traxxas cvd’s, you could probably get the arms cut locally for a few bucks, they are not that hard to cut.

You can send me the arms and I will trim them down to fit for ya for just the cost of shipping them back but you know how long Customs takes between you and I.

Back