Tmaxx 3.3 DEAD

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxjordan369

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I recently bought a used tmaxx 3.3 off ebay and i got it to run for one afternoon but i was having to run it way rich and the run time was less than 15 mins, but it would run fine no bog or overheating issues. the next day I run it, the truck has a bog and it would not lean out. took carb apart and the hsn screw was stripped out on carb body, replaced the carb body and fuel lines. So now when I try and start it it will run for a second before blowing alot of fuel out of the exhaust. I took the engine apart and it was gummed up a little but not much before i tried running it. So is it what I am thinking and it just needs a new engine because this one is worn out? thanks

Thats the chance you take buying used nitro engines my friend. You can buy a brand new 3.3 off ebay for $85 plus $5 shipping. It just needs a carb.

Yep, and for money you usually spend on rebuiling a 3.3 (and new piston, sleeve, and a rod,) you could have bought a new one. I know. I've done it.

Thanks guys I think I'm just going to go ahead and get a new engine off eBay, so I can eliminate both problems

Well I took the engine apart and it has good compression, but i found the piston cut out to the side. so now it will idle but it idles high and the idle screw has no effect. and it dies when i take the glow plug heater off the plug. what gives?

the exhaust side of the piston has the notch for intake.w/ the sleeve and piston out of the engine try to push the pistion out of the sleeve if it goes through or close to the top it's wore out...

but you could buy the sleeve/piston/rod and knifeedge the rod,port the sleeve,exaust/crank ports to get a lot more out of it.but sacriface long engine life.:ghost:

here is a rebuild tip. when you put the engine together go to advance auto. get permatex ultra slick engine assy lube, item #81950. use a small dab on all inside moving parts, this will keep those parts lubed till regular lube gets to them. it will smoke a little when you start it that is ok. do not put in the fuel.