Tmaxx 2.5 with big block twisting tranny output shafts!!! Please help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotrodtmaxx457

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
First of all great forum, I'm new! Thanks to all in advance!
I have a maxed out tmaxx! It has a big block conversion and a KTM 457 big block. I have removed the front diff. so the truck is 2 wheel drive. Have aluminum drive shaft, steel cvd's in the rear, 3.3 steel cvd's by the way, put the 3.3 end casters on there and changed the bearings so the it really widens up truck! running 40 series road tires and I race it every weekend on blacktop track! Now that you get an idea of my set here is the problem... Has 2 speed forward only Robinson gear setup inside the tranny, but I'm twisting off the output shaft on the rear of the tranny! Right were the hole is so the set screws tighten up! I mean like every couple laps if I'm giving it hard, it shifts to second stands on its rear wheels for a few seconds before smamming down the front end and the engine over revs! Broke again!!! I have searched everywhere for hardened steel output shafts, This is the shaft that if you purchased a stock forward only gear set, its the shaft that the forward kit gear is on. My last resort I guess is to have a CNC shop make me one but I'm sure that wont be cheap! Really desperate to find a fix! Have lots invested into this 2.5 tmaxx truck and its just insane to drive when it runs! Please let me know if anyone can help! Thanks

put the slipper back on so it will slip sounds like your totaly hooked up too much pressure on the shaft and snap! + if your raceing need to keep the front wheels on the ground!

What about a 3.3 tranny? Also, post up some pix.

put the slipper back on so it will slip sounds like your totaly hooked up too much pressure on the shaft and snap! + if your raceing need to keep the front wheels on the ground!

Slippers are not designed to be a form of traction control. Slippers are for extremely rapid rates of deceleration on the drivetrain. Unless there are jumps on you road course I wouldn't touch your slipper setting.

I'm still confused if the problem is with the Primary Shaft or the Output shaft. You're description sounds like the Primary shaft although you've stated output shaft in your title.

Could be landing when you are giving it to much gas? Dono no tho thats what someone told me when I had this prob with my rusty. Just my 2!

Slippers are not designed to be a form of traction control. Slippers are for extremely rapid rates of deceleration on the drivetrain. Unless there are jumps on you road course I wouldn't touch your slipper setting.

I'm still confused if the problem is with the Primary Shaft or the Output shaft. You're description sounds like the Primary shaft although you've stated output shaft in your title.
?????????????? i care to differ with this. slippers are ment to slip on take off and comming off corners so you don't spin the tires. small adjustments on the slipper will help. as for deceleratiion letting off the gas puts the clutch into a free wheeling mode.

?????????????? i care to differ with this. slippers are ment to slip on take off and comming off corners so you don't spin the tires. small adjustments on the slipper will help.

You can differ all you care to. IMO it's just a waste of power to utilize it as a form of traction control. However, I suppose if a person is running an off-road vehicle strictly on a very high traction surface such as concrete it could be used that way. Personally, I think it's just a waste of power though. I'm also quite certain that generally speaking, nitro touring cars don't even have slippers. So if slippers were all about not overpowering corner exits wouldn't we see them in TC's too? We pretty much only see slippers in off-road vehicles for the purpose of protecting the drivetrain on landings.

as for deceleratiion letting off the gas puts the clutch into a free wheeling mode.

Yes. However, if a driver is on the throttle when a vehicle hits the ground from a jump (for instance to adjust the vehicles attitude while in the air) then there will be a significant deceleration when the tires make contact and if throttle is still being applied then the drivertrain is essentially trying to slow down while the engine is not. This is when the slipper takes affect the most often.

Back