Tmaxx 0.15 with OS 30vg

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tasi

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi there,

New here and I'd like to have your opinion about an engine swap.
I own a tmaxx .15 first generation and I've been having some issues with the engine. So I decided to change it of course...due to haste and not much choice and research i got myself an OS 30vg -x.

Anybody has installed this engine on a first generation tmaxx? If so yes, any tips n tricks on procedures, problems encountered etc?

thanx,
taso

You'll need a new chassis and all new driveline components. That engine is way too big for a maxx. It'll constantly break. You'd be better off returning that OS and getting an O.S. .18 crv, dynamite .19 or swapping your .15 for a Trx 3.3.

Well first it will not fit as is. The .15 is a small block engine and the .30 is a big block. You would have to buy and extended chassis to make it fit. Once you have done that you have to take into consideration that you now have shoe-horned double the power. Your drive-line will not take it. So you will have to upgrade your drive shafts, diffs and transmission to take the punishment. Oh yeah also you will have to upgrade the throttle linkage to a slide carb instead of a rotory carb. Once you have done all of that you will have rebuilt the entire truck for the most part. It is a ton of work to make it work...as Matt said above you would be better off going smaller unless you wanna drop $400 on it making it work properly.
Here is a look at mine that I converted to a big block. I have even upgraded it a ton since these pictures were taken too.
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75504&highlight=project+maxx+destruction
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76378

Last edited:
I say build it man! Build it anyway you want! If you're mechanically inclined and have the money to do it. Although I would've put that big of an engine in something like a Savage that's made for the power of a big block, but if you wanna build a Maxx around an engine like that then go to it my man! It's gonna cost ya though!

hey hello,

Thank you guys for your responses. It seems that it wasn't a good investment for the maxx after all...
Could make it happen, but the only big problem is to get parts in Greece. It will take ages.

But now that I'm thinking of it, I've also a Jato 3.3 that's awaiting for a new heart. That one is in a pretty advanced state regarding parts (carbon arms, integy gears, etc...), still though the maxx would be a better idea. What are your thoughts on this? Interchanging parts between the two and so on...

In any case a project would be tons of fun but at the moment time is a luxury for me and I'm not good with patience :\

thanx again

Hey guys,

I've decided to go on with the project and make that thing happen !
Feel sorry to get rid of the new os, so thats why :)

In any case, feel free to drop in any ideas. Would be interesting to see what everybody has in mind.

Well the first thing is to get the engine mated to a good chassis the stock pro .15 chassis just aint gonna cut it. I would get the newer 4908 chassis its longer and thicker than the old one. The tranny is gonna have to go too I would say get the 4908 tranny but mine has just puked up it's second one and mine is a stock 3.3 so some Robinson Rcaing steel gears would be a good idea too and lose the reverse gear.

Well the first thing is to get the engine mated to a good chassis the stock pro .15 chassis just aint gonna cut it. I would get the newer 4908 chassis its longer and thicker than the old one. The tranny is gonna have to go too I would say get the 4908 tranny but mine has just puked up it's second one and mine is a stock 3.3 so some Robinson Rcaing steel gears would be a good idea too and lose the reverse gear.
Sorry the 4908 chassis will NOT fit a big block in. Yes it is longer but it's longer in the front...not the rear where it is needed for putting in a big block.

Gee that's funny my 4908 front driveshaft and my neighbor's 4910 front shaft are the same length, yet his chassis is shorter than mine

It's definitely longer in the front. The driveshafts are definitely different lengths. The front 4910 shafts are the same length as a rear 4908 shaft, same as a rear 4908 shaft is the same length as the rear 4910 shaft.

Hey My T-maxx started out as a .15 model . Then after some money and a call ro RC-Solutions it looked like this . ( With an OS .30 )
Picture010.jpg

Oh and the Integy shocks are long gone !

And to the OP . Just bite the bullet and get a big block conversion chassis . I've seen a few guy shoe horn a bigblock in a .15 chassis and its not pretty . You have to shave the shock tower quite abit and redrill for a mount .

Last edited:
just asking seeing engine size is talked about i have a old gen t maxx how do you all feel about the picco .26 traxxas state it's a direct replacement? Do any mods need doing?

The picco will blow your drivetrain to pieces. Expect to replace everything in the drivetrain. In my opinion, not worth it. A .18 makes a Maxx go plenty good, while letting the stock drivetrain survive for a bit. With 3.3 shafts and carriers on mine, it holds up fine to the OS .18. Even with the stock diffs.

i know this is an older thread, but phx123 where did you get that rc solutions chassis, rollcage combo i heard they used to sell them but i can't find them anywhere...

Hey My T-maxx started out as a .15 model . Then after some money and a call ro RC-Solutions it looked like this . ( With an OS .30 )
View attachment 58618

Oh and the Integy shocks are long gone !

And to the OP . Just bite the bullet and get a big block conversion chassis . I've seen a few guy shoe horn a bigblock in a .15 chassis and its not pretty . You have to shave the shock tower quite abit and redrill for a mount .

I have inherited a build from my uncle that is almost the same as your build. A have some questions for you! I'm trying to get it back together