Tire upgrade for TRX4 sport

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tryingtolearn

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Is a upgrade from a 1.9 tire up to a 2.2 a good idea for a TRX4 sport? If so who makes the best rock crawling tire? Bead lock rims??

You'll run into clearance issues with a 2.2 Tire. Also in the competitions you can only run 1.9 tires. Look at Pro-Line for your tires and wheel. The proline hyrax are a very aggressive Rock Tire. You can also go to Amazon and order some beadlock wheels for approximately 45 $50 a set. Pitbull also makes a very good Tire. You will also want to get competition cut crawler foam's for your wheels. You can get those at
crawler Innovations. Com.

Not all 2.2 tires are too big and there are a few 1.9 tires that area s big or bigger than some 2.2. For me I like Hyrax but there 2.2 are 5.75 inches in diameter which is pretty big for a scaler. At this point, on my scalers, Hyrax are my favorite. I have them in 1.9 4.19 on my class 1 and 1.9 4.75s and my class 2. On my scalers my favorite 2.2 is Proline Hammers (4.9 in diameter) but they have been discontinued long ago. I do have 2.2 Hyrax on my MOA, those tires are huge, 5.75 inch in diameter, in my opinion too big for a scaler.

Last edited:
no way a 5.5" wheel rotate in a trx wheel opening....a 4.7" will

and set endpoints for the steering also or when you turn the tire WILL rub the frame and bind.

You can always get some sort of extension but I wouldn't want to with a tire that big. It really is just way to big of a tire unless you went with wider axles and whatever else you would need. I have them on an MOA but that is a very different setup.

I really wish Proline would come out with the Hammer again in a 2.2 about 5.25 in diameter. All the Proline 2.2s are too big for scalers.

I use 4.75 on all my scalers. I like the proline flat iron and hyraks, and pitt bull tires

I use 4.75 on all my scalers. I like the proline flat iron and hyraks, and pitt bull tires

I run 4.75s on 1.9s for the most part.

Where I can compete there is a class with 2.2. One of the places allows Dig or 4 wheel steer in the class, the other places doesn't. I have been contemplating getting dig but it puts me into a class where I am in over my head and get whipped. I don't really care if I win or loose, I just like watching to see what the different rigs are capable of.

I use my TRX 4 for the class where you're only allowed one servo. I have a axial Capra that has dig in it that I use for the one that allows for dig. I have been looking to get a Moa rig but I'm like you I have two rigs that I run in the other class and there's no money in winning so I'm just there for the fun

Back