Tire preference

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtbmatty

RCTalk Talkaholic
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Flying
What’s everyone’s tire of choice for the scx-24 or the trx4m for that matter.
Looking for something that performs well on rocks at a reasonable price point

For all around great crawling, the RC4WD Mudslingers are hard to beat. I just wish they made them a tad smaller diameter. You have to do a bit of cutting to get them to fit without rubbing.

For all around great crawling, the RC4WD Mudslingers are hard to beat. I just wish they made them a tad smaller diameter. You have to do a bit of cutting to get them to fit without rubbing.
Cutting the body or the tire?

I think the Trx4m canyon tires that come on the Land Rover are pretty capable, the BFGoodrich that came on the Bronco, not so much.

For the SCX24 I really like Injora's new soft compound mud terrain tires, but they are large so it depends what you are putting them on. They fit on a deadbolt with 7mm hub extensions but will probably rub an un modified scx24. I like aggressive treads.

I just picked up a set of these for 22$ with some brass bead-locks. I was surprised as to how soft they are.
They are almost too much for a stock motor as they weigh quite a bit with the brass wheels.
PXL_20221225_093219331.jpg

I am getting a second set when they come back in stock.

Cutting the body or the tire?
The body, and that depends on which SCX24 you have. On the Deadbolt with the Treal +5mm wheel hubs I only had to trim the front wheel opening. The rear opening cleared just fine. I had to trim about 1/8" of the top and 3/8" of the rear of the front opening.
20210831_171406.jpg

They are almost too much for a stock motor as they weigh quite a bit with the brass wheels.
View attachment 158758
Dang. Just clicked this link and they’re now unavailable. ☹️

Last edited:
Another vote for the Mudslingers here but also agree with Doom that the Injora 65*19mm Comp Pin Mult Terrains are great. They are tall (65mm) so not to scale but the with the injora deep dish wheels its a very stable rig.
injora tires.JPG

I just picked up a set of these for 22$ with some brass bead-locks. I was surprised as to how soft they are.
View attachment 158758
When I click the link you have here, it takes me to Amazon, but it's not the same tire. The ones you have look pretty cool.

I went for the Traxxas canyon tires and have been pretty stoked on them. While I’m not necessarily a scale nut, I did like the stock look of the trx4m where said tires were installed… found a couple new lines on our home course last night and love that rig even more every time I run it

Also worth mentioning that tires can affect speed. Many of us have enjoyed the extra speed of the FMS24 which has led to discussions about increasing the SCX24's speed. In theory tires could do this a little. The stock tire has a diameter of 53mm, the mudslinger 61 and the injora comp pins 65mm. This gives the Mudslingers a potential 15% speed increase and the Injoras 23% over stock. In practice it is probably a little less because of the extra strain on the motor.

I must admit I have also changed both worm gears to 13T which gives another 23% increase in speed. I am very happy with the result. There is some loss of power climbing but this is largely countered by the extra speed which can help to overcome obstacles.

However the fun thing about this hobby is once you start where do you stop? So my stock motor burned out after about 6 months use 10 months ago. I replaced it with a slighly bigger 05 55T and upgraded to an Emax servo at the same time. I am amazed not to have burned out or damaged anything over the last 10 months. Especially as my 2 and 4 year old excitable grandsons give it a real battering!

Tire composition and tread patterns also depend a lot on your terrain. Rocks versus trails, dirt vs. sand Even the clay or soil composition from one area to another can make a big difference in performance. So what's good for one may not be good for another.

When I click the link you have here, it takes me to Amazon, but it's not the same tire. The ones you have look pretty cool.
Sorry about that. I must have linked to different set I bought.
These are only 10.99$ right now.

Back