Tips for racing please!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The RC Car

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Any tips on how to make my Slash 4x4 lighter? I have about 250 grams of extra weight. I use LiPos, have three fans (should I take these off?) and steel Tekno driveshafts. It also has the OBA system, which I will remove.
I'm thinking about getting a new motor and ESC because the VXL-3s has been giving me a headache, any suggestions?

Did you ever get a temp gun and check your gearing? Did you fix your drivetrain binding issues? If not, a new motor and ESC won't help the lack of basic troubleshooting and repair skills. It's just a very expensive band-aid.

Did you ever get a temp gun and check your gearing? Did you fix your drivetrain binding issues? If not, a new motor and ESC won't help the lack of basic troubleshooting and repair skills. It's just a very expensive band-aid.
I didn't get the heat gun, but I got it working now.

I'm looking at a new motor and ESC because I'm thinking of racing the car, and I want to have a shot at winning.

So you never bought the proper tools for tuning your rig in the environment you run it in currently, much less on a race track? And a new motor and ESC won't help your odds of winning nearly as much as learning how to tune your rig for where you're running currently. Not to mention, nothing would suck worse than spending all that cash on the new motor and ESC and frying the ESC because you didn't use a temp gun to set your gearing properly. You want to succeed at the track, here's a short list;

• Fix the problems you have now FIRST
  • Buy a temperature gun (you WILL need this if you plan on racing for sure, but you need it anyway)
  • A small assortment of pinion and spur gears
From there, go to the track, and talk to the local racers. Most RC racers are good people and will gladly help you out with gearing choice, tire choice, etc.

So you never bought the proper tools for tuning your rig in the environment you run it in currently, much less on a race track? And a new motor and ESC won't help your odds of winning nearly as much as learning how to tune your rig for where you're running currently. Not to mention, nothing would suck worse than spending all that cash on the new motor and ESC and frying the ESC because you didn't use a temp gun to set your gearing properly. You want to succeed at the track, here's a short list;

• Fix the problems you have now FIRST
  • Buy a temperature gun (you WILL need this if you plan on racing for sure, but you need it anyway)
  • A small assortment of pinion and spur gears
From there, go to the track, and talk to the local racers. Most RC racers are good people and will gladly help you out with gearing choice, tire choice, etc.
Is there a pack that would come with an assortment of spur/pinion gears for the slash?

What kind of racing are you trying to get ready for? look for a parking lot or a place that has that type of surface then you can set up cones and practice. But you have to be disciplined and stay inside your cones keep your speeds maintainable. Go into your turn easy come out hard. A temp gun is the best way to go but if you can't afford that you can always feel motor to see if it is hot. If you can't hold your hand on it for more than three seconds it is too hot you need to gear down. You'll want to change the silicone in your front and rear differential so that you can tune to the track that you're going to be on. You will also have to invest in some tires that will hold that surface. No one here can tell you what to do in your conditions that is something you will have to figure out on your own.

What kind of racing are you trying to get ready for? look for a parking lot or a place that has that type of surface then you can set up cones and practice. But you have to be disciplined and stay inside your cones keep your speeds maintainable. Go into your turn easy come out hard. A temp gun is the best way to go but if you can't afford that you can always feel motor to see if it is hot. If you can't hold your hand on it for more than three seconds it is too hot you need to gear down. You'll want to change the silicone in your front and rear differential so that you can tune to the track that you're going to be on. You will also have to invest in some tires that will hold that surface. No one here can tell you what to do in your conditions that is something you will have to figure out on your own.
Okay! Yup, go-kart racer here, so I know how to take the turns :) Okay!

Is there a pack that would come with an assortment of spur/pinion gears for the slash?

They are normally sold individually. A couple different pinions (higher and lower geared than stock by a few teeth) will normally do anythign you'll need honestly. Almost every RC I've ever bought needed to be geared down (lower gear ratio) from stock for bashing. For racing on a groomed track, stock gearing on my SC trucks was fine.

They are normally sold individually. A couple different pinions (higher and lower geared than stock by a few teeth) will normally do anythign you'll need honestly. Almost every RC I've ever bought needed to be geared down (lower gear ratio) from stock for bashing. For racing on a groomed track, stock gearing on my SC trucks was fine.
Thanks!

Back